[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Lighting installation tutorial

Lighting installation tutorial

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Lighting installation tutorial

Postby urbanwarrior » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:35 pm

Ok gents, I have been installing lights in a lot of my slot cars lately. I have figured out a way to do it so all analog cars can be lighted. I haven't seen this type of thing on here before but I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, so if I am repeating I apologize.
In the first pic there is an assortment of supplies. I found 500 (100 each green, red, yellow, white and blue) 3V 3mm LED's on eBay for about $9. I also got 100 1K ohm 1/2w and 100 160 ohm 1/2w resistors for about $3/100. I picked up a 4x6 piece of PCB 1 sided board for about $2. I also picked up an assortment of shrink tubing from Harbor Freight.
So realistically I can do about 100 cars with these supplies that cost about $20.
You will also need a hot glue gun and a soldering iron.

The first thing I do is solder the wire to the LED. One side of the LED is longer than the other, that is the positive side. You will need to know the positive and negative side of the motor as well, this is where you will get power for the lights. For the front lights I use yellow for positive and green for negative.
After soldering the wires to the LED leads, I bend the wires as seen in the pic to make it fit in the car where I want. I then put hot glue all around the LED leads and put it in place in the chassis. When the glue dries you can install the body and bend the LED accordingly to line it up with the light lens on the car.

Next I route the wires under the axle, I use sold wire because it is easier to contour, and solder them together. I run the negative directly to the motor after soldering the two wires together. I do the same with the positive wires but after soldering them together I solder a 160 ohm resistor in line before connecting to the motor. I use shrink tubing where I solder. I also use a larger piece of shrink tubing on the LED's to reduce light escaping. Here is a pic of the completed front lights. I test with a 9v battery to make sure everything is working properly.

Now for the rear lights I do the same procedure as for the front. The only difference is I use a 1k ohm resistor in line on the positive side.

So there you have it. Its pretty simple. Now I don't think the glue, bulbs, etc add too much weight and I don't know how much power it will take away from the motor but the car seems as fast as it was before. I haven't had a chance to put it on the track to time it yet. Perhaps some of the electrical gurus can chime in.
The PC board just arrived today, so I will do a car using that and post here when I finish.
Happy lighting,
John
urbanwarrior
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Lighting installation tutorial

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:36 am

Nice job !
I like how you fastened the lights to the chassis instead of the body.
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:36 am

:text-bravo:
I like the thought of using solid core wire and hot gluing to the chassis to allow for easy servicing!
Pretty slick!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby dw5555 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:45 am

John, great write up..Have a question though, if the Led's are all the same voltage why the different resistors front to back?

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby urbanwarrior » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:43 am

urbanwarrior
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby urbanwarrior » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:43 am

urbanwarrior
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:44 am

Ok thanks. I'll get it done ASAP.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby R/TRandy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:00 pm

Nice write up!
I also like the use of solid core wire, should stay set in place better.
Thanks
Randy
R/TRandy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:53 pm

FANTASTIC thread!!! Great work there and I agree - this is a sticky!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby urbanwarrior » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement.
I am working on fabricating a piece of PC board to run both lights into and run one set of wires from. It's the stuff someone was talking about using as a chassis in another thread, it should be good for that because it's very strong. I had trouble cutting it. I used a razor saw but it took a little while. Now I'm using a very small cutting bit in my Dremel to try to cut the channels to seperate positive and negative but it's slow going. My pin vise drilled it pretty easily. As with anything you do for the first time it's trial and error. I will post pics in a bit.
John
urbanwarrior
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:35 am

k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!