[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Flex Shaft

Flex Shaft

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Flex Shaft

Postby Burglar » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Burglar

Re: Flex Shaft

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:40 am

:) . . . and you can do your own dentistry, as well!

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:56 am

No way! My previous dentist butchered my teeth badly enough!

It's not meant for dentistry. It's main uses are jewellery and wood carving. I have heard of people porting cylinder heads with these units, but that can end very badly. You need really air tools for jobs like that, because if one of these kicks back out of a port it can really do you some damage because it will whip around you, and if you are unlucky enough to be knocked out you could be in real strife.
Burglar

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:56 pm

I had to visit a dentist in Barcelona once, and he had a flexible drive drill operated by a treadle - real nightmare stuff! The intelligence services could have used him to help people remember the answers to questions! - and he had an ashtray screwed to the arm of the chair, so he could take the "***"( note to American cousins:"***"= Brit and Aussie slang for cigarette) out of his mouth if there was something tricky to do.

Back to flexible drives - Ryobi were selling quite a nice set in the DIY supermarkets here last year.

David.

PS - Looks as though the American rude words filter doesn't know about Brit English. The asterisks obliterate a word spelled by the first letters of Fun And Games!
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Seriously jealous Burglar. I've been trying to afford something like that in my workshop arsenal for ages. Brilliant for glass engraving etc.

The Dremel flex drive option just doesn't have enough length or flex.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby ddyke » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:15 pm

I had to lubricate the shaft as it was dried out or never oiled.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Burglar

Postby Burglar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 am

This is what happens if you use too much speed or pressure:

The one in the H.8 is a 3/32" version, the 1/8" version with the plastic melted to it is the one I usually use. I have a lot of spare sandpaper rolls, which come in the accessory kits.

Here are a couple of photos of my Foredom accessories, which come from the AK11 and AK21 kits, and showing the H.30 handpiece that I got with the general applications kit (I generally use the H.8 I bought later).

Burglar

Postby ddyke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:07 am

ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 am

That's cheap. My Foredom H.8 handpiece cost more than that unit. I would check and lubricate the shaft and handpiece, and if you still find the handpiece unsatisfactory look on ebay for a Foredom unit, but as I said they start around $50. For some reason the additional handpiece I bought (the H.8) is never on ebay so I had to pay really high shipping costs via Otto Frei to Australia. I think it cost me $80 altogether, which was very extravagant, but then again I've never used the H.30 since it arrived.
Burglar

Return to SlotCar ToolTime