[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Tire truers

Tire truers

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Re: Tire truers

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:03 am

Thats Excelllent!

Really brings back some memories.....

I started with the wheel chucked in a dremel (as most did), and used a block of wood with sandpaper stuck to it to get the diameter. It was very tedious but from the tyres I've pulled off old models seemed to be pretty accurate (I used digital verniers as a sort of go/no go gauge, still do now too).

I've moved on a little now, I got an Area 3 truer a couple of years back, its made things quicker, still not perfect though, I would prefer one of Johns little beauties....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Burglar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:45 am

That's the one I have (Jon's Tire Razor) and truing machines aren't cheap so I'm not planning to start a collection!
Burglar

Postby ListerStormGT » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 am

Another Tire Razor here... my old standby was a setup block wired to my power supply.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm

RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby boopiejones » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Two of those pics from post #1 are mine. Now I know what it feels like to be an Internet celebrity!

Ive made some new tire truers since then. Il try to post pics tonight.
boopiejones

Postby FootScoot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:01 pm

I have 2. An old Cobra, which I use most often. I bought another one, but have yet to even try using it. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby boopiejones » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:30 pm

my real hudy:

travel version of my sander/cleaner pictured in post #1:

this next one isn't really a tire "truer." it is a machine to massage oil into rubber tires:

broken avant slot chassis and worn out slot it motor, converted into a tire sanding gizmo:
boopiejones

Postby buspor63 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:55 am

My kids really like the pic of the crew truing tires :lol: Lots of great home shop solutions out there.
My brother and I share a Tire Razor, excellent product !! To me the benefit is being able to true stock plastic wheels in pairs on stock axles.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:20 am

ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby olskoolslotz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:47 pm

Last edited by olskoolslotz on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Rob- Dan's slick operation is the only competition for the Tire Razor as far as I am concerned. I think he's busy building a new track, so I'll explain it briefly for him.

It works like this: The spindle sander spins the wheels, and the spare drum, held in perfect alignment by the table of the spindle sander is eased into place alongside, truing the tires or wheels very quickly and accurately. I have a Tire Razor, and I use it al the time, but for big jobs when I need to lower a car's profile, I get out the spindle sander and make very short work of it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ddyke » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:51 pm

RMinAustralia,

The spindle on the sander spins the tyres/tires. The tire rubs on the larger drum. The chassis rests against the larger drum and the drum (because it is large) is rolled into the tire gently. I may make a video as it is hard to explain but easy to do. The thing has gobs of torque. The larger drum can be Wrapped with fine grit sandpaper to polish a tire. Since I own the sander, it was cheap.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Don't forget this old German unit

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Das ist gut Ja???
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!