Rock Tumblers

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Rock Tumblers

Postby ddyke » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:12 am

Which of these will work on making brass chassis?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... ck+tumbler
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Rock Tumblers

Postby 4424ever » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:20 am

Dan I would think any tumbler would work as long as the container is large enough to hold a chassis, the reason I'm responding is I have been looking at these too and for what they cost I'm considering making my own. Just a simple can with a spindle on one end and a dead center on the other to through on the lathe, just a thought :whistle:
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:38 am

Dan,

The above response is very correct.

I was going to purchase the $41.99 tumbler, but my requirements of chassis size did not allow it. I wound up with a Thumbler's tumbler.

The media you use is very critical. I have found the ceramic media sold by Cabella's to be the best for cleaning and shining.

DO NOT USE THE CLEANER THAT COMES WITH THE MEDIA . . . . . That is unless you like a dark chassis. I use "All" detergent. Put enough media into the drum, just cover it with water and then add the "All". I simply stick my forefinger into the "All" up to the first joint. Then I use that finger to stir the water / media mixture.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby gascarnut » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:44 am

Guys,

If you want to spend money once, listen to Marty. The Thumler's or similar rotary sealed tumblers are the best way to go for shining up brass slot car frames.

The cheap HF vibratory tumbler cannot take wet media and there is a warning in its instructions not to use ceramic media as that will destroy the bowl. They are also as nosiy as all get-out while operating.

I bought one, tired it and it has sat in my garage ever since. I then spent the money on a Thumler's AR-12 and it has tumlbed frames for seven years so far. The Media from Cabela's works great. If the water in your area is OK, then the soap they provide is also fine.

Dennis
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:12 pm

This is what I use- $35, and its quiet and huge. All you'll ever need. I also use it for antique lamp parts and the like.

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal ... B001MYGLJC

I for got to ask...Any particular reason for the brand name "All", Marty?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:30 pm

"All" is the detergent that I use exclusively. It works good and lasts a long time.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Racie35 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 am

I have the Thumblers tumbler....it's can has a rubber liner. I think they all work though. I just wanted the rolling drum type.
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to SlotCar ToolTime