[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Mini Cut-off Saw

Mini Cut-off Saw

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Mini Cut-off Saw

Postby oz10k » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:27 pm

I got this a few months ago on Amazon for $40:

If you understand its limits and don't push them, it's fine.

However, for that price you do not get a tool with tight tolerances. The vise handle is threaded in the vise in only one location, and the threads are pretty loose. As a result, there is a lot of "slop". So I thought I'd give an improvement a try, and it turned-out great.

I cut a small piece of 1/2" x .032 brass and used a hand-punch to make a 9/32" hole. I then slowly reamed it until the handle would just screw into it. Next I put the parts together using silicone sealant to hold the brass in place. Once that cured I backed-out the handle, put on a clamp, drilled two pilot holes and then carefully tapped them for a 2-56 screw:

This made a huge difference! If you've got one of these saws, give this try. You'll be very happy with results.

I'm now working on another improvement. The jaw also has a very sloppy fit to the base. To test my idea, I made what I think is called a "gib" out of an old credit card:

This also did a very good job of removing slop. I know the plastic won't last long, but I don't have the tools or the skill to make a brass version of the correct size. And even if I did, I don't know how I could secure it to the base. But give me some time, and I'll come-up with something.

Ron
oz10k

Re: Mini Cut-off Saw

Postby RazorJon » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:58 pm

been looking at these for years, do you think it would handle 1\8th axles with a abrasive wheel?

Your tune up tricks look great thx for the review and keep us up with how it turns out with use :text-bravo: :text-bravo:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:05 pm

Yes, well done. Have had the same saw nut from HF for about 10 years. Still use it today.

Good tips.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby oz10k » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:08 pm

I don't think so. It had a hard time cutting the .032 brass, it took probably 3 minutes. You've got to keep the load really light or the RPMs really drops. I'd go with a Dremel for cutting an axle.

FYI. It's rated at 7800 RPM and just under 1 amp.
oz10k

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Exactly right. I did the same things to mine, but I used brass for the gib, just as you mentioned.

About cutting, I got rid of the toothed blade as soon as I got it, because our member, Dan Dyke, warned us that his motor burned up after light usage. I use the diamond dust blade that HF has for their miniature table saw, and it does fine with brass in no time at all. But I wouldn't try it on steel. Its just too weak, and oz10k says, the Dremel is king of that task. This saw is particularly good for making identical parts, used much the same way that you use the various plastic anvil cutting tools that MicroMark sells. For chassis parts, this saw will make rails that are not only identical, but you can also "face" the parts for a better soldered joint.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bill from nh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:31 am

I have an older version of this saw that Micro Mark sold. They also sell abrasive cut-off discs for the saws they sell. These might also fit the Amazon saws. These discs cut .032 brass strips & tubing okay but cutting .064 brass does slow down the saw.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby J Y D » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:46 am

I have the Harbor Freight one looks almost the same (it's Orange).
Been using for years ... have had no problems.
The vise says tight. I think there about the same money when they're on sale.

Hope it helps ... J Y D
J Y D
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oz10k » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:47 pm

oz10k

Postby J Y D » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks ... J Y D

also on amazon at the bottom of the page I saw this.
It looks just like the one I have.
http://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-Miter- ... GBXD6RX92G

Hope it helps ... J Y D
J Y D
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:00 pm

ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:59 pm

I just looked so I could get the link, and they don't sell the diamond blades for the cutoff saw anymore. They do have them for the mini table saw, though, #69656. That's a 4 inch blade, though.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to SlotCar ToolTime