[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Homebuilt Vacu Mold Questions

Homebuilt Vacu Mold Questions

All About The Tools In Our Hobby
Product Reviews & Advice From Advanced Enthusiasts

Re: Homebuilt Vacu Mold Questions

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:35 pm

It looks like I can get a two burner electric hot plate delivered for about $30 bucks. But I am going to look around the junk stores around here firse. I used to have a little electric Bbq that someone gave me. I haven't seen it for a long time but it might still be around here. I should be able to come up with everything else in house.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:41 am

My setup is low low tech.

I use a 2000watt household vacuum cleaner for suction and a single burner electric hot plate for heat.
I wont mention the transparent sheet holder but my box is nicely done with a perforated metal plate on the top.
Most important thing is it works and can be put away easily and quickly.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Kemtronracer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:40 am

Kemtronracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:13 am

Mike if you are goingmto heat from the top, you do need to be closer to the heat source as Kemtron states.
If however you end up using a single or double burner hot plate below , mine is set at 9 inches, as the surround of foil on the heat box reflects the heat up and stays in the chamber.
You may have noticed on the small one , which is actually a dental one for making tooth guards and whitening plates, it heats from the top also is is much closer.
Looking forward to seeing what comes from the laboratory of Dr NorCalstein lol
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Can I heat up enough plastic to make a single 1/24 slot car body with a single burner? I can't imagine ever making anything larger. I am going to try the flip over sheet holder with the burner facing up in a box lined with foil.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Yes you sure can, but you will have to make sure you have a large enough plastic sheet so it gives complete coverage without too much thinning.
Basically you want the sheet be soft enough to go over the buck, plus a slightly raised pedestal that is wider at the bottom for easier removal.
If you use 30 th PETG for a good durable shell, you want about 1.5 to 1.75 inches of sag in the middle of the plastic.
if the buck plus pedestal measures 3.5 inches by 8 inches ,, I would want a plastic sheet of about
5 inches by 10 inches.
Best to have enough to start. You can always downsize after some tests , or upsize if required.
Hence my 10 x 10 table.
Mike I should add that on larger molds I prefer to come down on the buck rather than swing over
simply to avoid the sag from catching itself.

Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 am

Great information Bob. Thank you very much.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:53 am

I was digging around in my junk shed and came up with a small, rectangular Weber gas Bbq that hadn't been thrown into the recycling yet. I thought it might make a good oven for my vacu set up. Current thought is to start out, I would have the oven separate from the vacu box and I would move the framed plastic from the oven to the vac box manually. I originally thought that I would mount my hot plate into the old Bbq after removing the gas burner guts. But then I thought the gas burner still works and that maybe it could be utilized for the heat source. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? There really much difference in effort on my part to go either way, gas or electric.

Thanks,
Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:43 am

Hi Mike, I havent seen it done with open flame before.
I have seen the old electric BBQs, but not gas.
I suspect the usual hazards of heat control and plastic with open flame.
But I've never tried it.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby munter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:27 pm

I use an electric hot plate and move the plastic manually to the vac box.
If you had a steel plate to sit over the flame and then lower the plastic over that??
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Ya the steel plate would be mandatory I think. But otherwise it should work. The flame could be adjusted as well as the electric hot plate I would think. I will probably go with the hot plate since I already bought it. When I found the old gas Bbq I just thought, "what if?" And I am a guy who is always going outside of the box LOL.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:36 pm

The fumes from the unburnt gas will taint your clear plastic. No flame ever burns 100% clean,and there are agents added so you can smell the gas as well.

Edit: I should have mentioned that i had tried the open flame thing, thats how i know it will leave what seams like oil spots on the clear. I use PVC plastic, so your results may vary. It did not do this with electric heating, so i figured it was impurities in the gas flame. Not scientific, but there was a big difference,

Bob
Last edited by btaylor on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby dreinecke » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:01 pm

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Previous

Return to SlotCar ToolTime