[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Advice, suggestions

Advice, suggestions

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Re: Advice, suggestions

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:10 pm

I think the top config looks more like a real race track.

Just my 2¢.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby cgingras » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:21 pm

For me, the second one is the way to go. Equal lanes, a nice straight and good corners to have fun driving the car. The first one is too «busy», in my opinion.
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 pm

I'd prefer no.1, John.

If it's going to be 4feet wide,I imagine you'll be able to stretch it quite a lot.

Is it to be permanently-installed somewhere, or is it to be "portable"? It's going to be shockingly heavy if you build it as bomb proof as you have in mind!

Here is a nice simple one that was an exhibit at the 2012 Slot Far Festival here in UK.

This looks as though it's 8x4; entertaining enough by itself, but stretched to 16ft, might take 3-lanes.

David.

ps: 3's nice. Would the straight be elevated slightly?
If all the curves were at the front, you could make the baseboard "dog-bone" shaped, which would cut down on the leaning over for marshalling.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:42 pm

I vote for the crossover. Think of it as a simplified Suzuka if you have to. :)
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:59 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:09 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Fast Co. » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Johnny,
I like all three designs but have a slight preference for #2 - like Ember says "think of it as a scaled down Suzuka" - a track I've always been partial to. But if this is your first routed track #1 or 3 may be better choices because they will be a little bit easier to rout.
Steve
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:37 pm

I like overpasses when done correctly. I'm also madly in love with squeeze sections. My track is a driver's track. We do a quick walk through and have very little problems with crashing. The squeezes also allow me to run a more scale width track rather than being married to wider lane spacing everywhere.

I also have the track configured so that the three drivers double as marshalls. It works out perfectly.

The good news is that there is no wrong way to build a track. Make what you like and like what you make.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:41 pm

About those squeeze chicanes, I think it should be mentioned that the chicanes should always be right in front of the driver's eyes. It matters a lot.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Now you tell me? Good googly moogly. I'm going to have to make a new track ;)
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Oh David, David... What am I going to do with you? You are just looking for an excuse to build another track, and you know it. Box up that old sucker from a year ago and send it to me right away.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:08 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby dreinecke » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 pm

I like the Suzuka rendition personally. I think that has plenty of fun packed into it. Elevations also make for great scenery!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby yngwie_70 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Hi. Mine fits on 4 x 18. You could always shrink it a little if interested.

yngwie_70

Return to Layout Planning & Design