Cutting Carrera Digital Adapter Unit (30360)

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Cutting Carrera Digital Adapter Unit (30360)

Postby kippintranet » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:33 pm

I want to add two (2) more Carrera Digital Driver Displays (30353) to my track. I already have two (2). Where I want to add them is where I currently have a pit lane extension (single lane track, 30341). I am unwilling to modify my track layout. Accordingly, I need to cut lengthwise a Digital Adapter Unit (30360) to create a single lane track to plug my additional Digital Driver Displays. Has anyone attempted this modification? What would your recommend as a tool to cut the plastic track? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
kippintranet

Re: Cutting Carrera Digital Adapter Unit (30360)

Postby buspor63 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:34 am

It sounds like you just need the socket from the 30360 track section on your single lane section, right? I would remove the hardware from the 30360 section and try to replicate the opening on the single lane. Hot glue works good enough for anchoring plastic together, but still gives you the opportunity to cut the bond if you need to remove.

Is there a circuit board on 30360? If so, move that too and just stuff the wires into the rails like Carrera did. I've cut Carrera track with a table saw, jig saw and hobby hand saw. I'm sure a utility knife would work also.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kippintranet » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Thank you for the feedback.
kippintranet

Postby kippintranet » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:30 am

FYI. I used a utility knife and it cut perfectly. Replaced the single lane track (30341) with the modified digital adapter unit track (30360). I did have to put a piece of basswood underneath the cut side of the track to prevent sagging and support the weight of cars running on it. I plugged in the additional Carrera Digital Driver Displays (30353), which work. Parenthetically, there are two wires that are soldered to the rails from underneath the track (similar to power taps) from the sockets on the digital adapter track. There is no circuit board or any electronics to deal with.
kippintranet

Return to Layout Planning & Design