armco barriers

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

armco barriers

Postby kevinjr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:03 am

does anyone know how to make armco barriers or any ideas? ihave heard of a guy using dyes and running sheet aluminum flashing through it to form single armco rails thanks for any help
kevinjr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: armco barriers

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:22 am

You can make it the same way the 1:1 ARMCOs are done. Just figure out your scale, position three hard rubber wheels side by side with one offset, and pull the thin(!) aluminum strips through the dye you made. Then all you have to do is cut the excess off each side with scissors. You could also do this with two carved hardwood halves that have a close grain, like leftover bamboo flooring. Unbelievably hard wood. If you go with wood instead of wheels, be especially careful with the angle you pull from.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby deslot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:27 pm

I am using o scale railroad tracks cheap and looks good to me will post pics when i get some time.
deslot

Postby deslot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm

There u go,looks good and has that worn look.
deslot

Postby gascarnut » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:33 pm

I used the black Carrera barrier moldings that I sprayed witha metallic Krylon spray:

gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 pm

I was after roadside armco rather than racetack armco. Scaley stuff looks pretty good, but is double layer ie) racetrack style. Cheap solution, cut them in half. Two sections for the price of one.

Remounted on spruce risers with glue and pins then painted with cheap silver enamel spray paint.

Only trouble is, there's not a great deal of paints that stick permanently to the soft Scaley plastic. :(

In a couple of spots I wanted a longer run of armco in a single piece. Easy fix. Cut the end off, drill, pin and glue together. Works a treat.

Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Return to Layout Planning & Design