1001 Plastic track setup ?'s

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

1001 Plastic track setup ?'s

Postby Dodgefarmer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:33 am

Hello. I am starting construction of Route 97 Motorplex a 60 ft. Carrera Go 2 lane rally track surrounded by a Carrera Go 8ft. x 18ft. 4 lane high bank stretched octagon all on an 8 x 18 table, my first permanent track since 1965. For the last couple of yrs. I've been reading anything that I can find on setting up and wiring a track. However I still have a lot of questions. While I am not expecting to many problems with the 2 lane track the 4 lane track is proving to be challenging. In test fitting sessions of the high banked ends I've discovered that due to variances in the segment fittings that the track can get drastically out of alignment in a hurry. How can I control the fit as I attach the track to the table so that it remains square when it's done, or is this something that is going to take several attempts before I get it right?

Thank You
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1001 Plastic track setup ?'s

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi Randy, I don't know much about the Carrera Go track, but since it's been a couple days since you've posted here and no one's replied, perhaps asking this question in the 1/43 section might get you an answer?
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Randy,

Latex caulk will work well if it is going to be a semi perm track. You can do the flat straights first, let them dry and then do the curves. Just a dab or two underneath the track works perfectly. The nice thing is the track can then be pulled up with a flat blade and it will pull off easily.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks for the response guys. nh, Go is very similar to Evo, same length @ 13.4" but only 4.5" wide. I May post over in the 1/43 yet but I thought that since the 2 systems were so similar and that I have yet to see any 4 lane High Bank in Go that the Evo guys might have some advice. David, I was going to use the latex as I had read about it in 1 of your earlier posts and it made sense to me. The issue that I am having is how to manage the "growth and gap" and support of the high bank sections in a 4 lane system. My first attempt with just using blocking to support the sections resulted in the 8ft. end turn coming out at around 170 deg instead of 180, yet the gaps were quite small and the ends of the outer track were very close to being even with the ends of the inner track. What I am looking for is how an Evolution 4 lane High Bank is set up and supported. Then there is the matter of the transition from high bank to level of the 13.5ft. straight but that's a Q for another day.

Thanks
Randy
Last edited by Dodgefarmer on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Derby City Speedway » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:10 am

hi Randy,
speaking from a little carrera evolution track experience, my best results have come from just laying out some track, and playing with pieces till I got the best match when the 2 ends met. Plastic track is finiky no matter what brand you have. The larger your set up, the more leway you have to make up for gaps. As far as the banks go, well the supports that come with the evo system work very well if they are secured to the table. Only negative "for me" is the banks have to really be steep to get a correct 180 turn, and it took me 11 straight sections to get the transition back to flat without distorting the track. Bad about that, is you need a really large area to accomplish this. I have also created some interesting banked corners by leaving out 1 section of banking, and laying the bank down flat(er) than designed. It took some time and patients, but resulted in a very interesting track.
Derby City Speedway
Derby City King

Postby Dodgefarmer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks Derby City. Ya there is a lot of height involved. If my calculations are correct it's a 30deg. bank which would make the height 1/2 of the track width. So basically then I need more height to get the angle right. When I was designing this track I really wanted a "D" shape but I had to go with the stretched octagon as I need the full infield for the rally track.Hmmm... 11 full straight sections to get the track to lay down I guess I'm back to the drawing board there as my entire straight is only 12 sections. Maybe I'll just leave it as a bowl. Would make it a lot easier to set up, just can't run any no-mag cars

Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Layout Planning & Design