[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Covering a table

Covering a table

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Covering a table

Postby fourshipp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Ready to paint my new table tomorrow. What options are there for covering the table with some type of sound suppressing material before laying down track. I plan on using the Carrera anchor tabs to screw the track to the table. What have folks used other than just painting the ply?

Thanks,

Bruce
fourshipp

Re: Covering a table

Postby 4424ever » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:11 pm

my whole roadcoarse table is covered with a layer of thin carpet so thin you wouldn't want it on an actual floor :lol: Its a tan colour an looks like sandy dirt and seems to do a good job of sound deadening
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:08 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby frank9129 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Bruce,
You know that "if you go wood you never go back".
Get a router and play. Draw a track you would like, make the turns tight or wide. Lay it out on paper then the wood and go to it.
You can only ruin a piece of wood.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:35 am

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Bluevista » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 am

I used 1/2" Homasote sound deadening board/insulation over 1/2" OSB on 16" centers and indoor outdoor putting green looking carpet glued over that with I/O carpet glue. Train guys have been using the stuff for forever for sound deadening and track beds, easy to put nails and stuff into to hold the track too. I have a Carrera track about the same size and didn't have to use any track retaining clips, it stays put on the carpeting pretty well. If you do use Homasote and the track retaining clips only screw them to the sound board and not through into the plywood or they'll transmit the track noise.
Bluevista

Postby fourshipp » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Bluevista, I looked at the homesite sheets and really liked it. If I was doing a permanent set up it would be great. However it seemed a bit fragile to move twice a year. If my current carpet square solution proves to be too noisy I may try it though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bruce
fourshipp

Postby Fathead59 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Planning on building 2 tables and a leaf for the middle , plan on using 1/4 in foam board to use as a border , this way if you come a little hot into a corner you can slide thru it , hopefully not deslotting . Plan on painting it with a gravel/dirt area , and a grass area .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:32 pm

I run Ninco on banquet tables covered with green felt. Staple it in place first and lay down your track. 16' x 5' was $20.
Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:03 am

When I built my HO track I knew that there would little room for scenery, so I went for more of a commercial track look and I planned on just painting the top of the table green. The table top is 3/4 inch thick plywood, it looked terrible painted green, so I bought some green foam backed carpet runner. The runner came in 2' by 8' rolls, the pile is a bit heavier than typical outdoor carpet. Hardware and home improvement stores have similar carpet in big rolls, so you can buy any length that you need. As it turned out when I put two rolls side by side the carpet was too big, so I just tacked the extra material to the walls that go around the table. The foam backing does a good job of dampening noise and the carpet on the walls prevents damage to the cars.

Last edited by RichD on Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dennis Laff » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 am

Nice track the color coordinated stools add a nice touch
Dennis Laff

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:10 am

Felt has fibers. Fibers get into braid and can wrap around axles.

Plastic is your friend. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Broman62 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:14 pm

You could even go with a piece of MFD under the track to deaden the sound and then if/when you get bored with the plastic track you can get out the router and go to town :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :D :D
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:24 pm

The original post on this thread (many months ago) asked about what to use to deaden plastic track noise. Carpet will do that as will carpet pad under the track. I jumped on the scenery idea to expand the topic. To get realistic coverage on a table gluing down grass model RR style is the best. Put it on a brown surface so any open areas look like dirt (kinda like my lawn in the back yard). It's easy to do, looks great, and doesn't create any problems.

There are many model RR videos to use for guidance.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Next

Return to Layout Planning & Design