Lap Counting Software Options

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Re: Lap Counting Software Options

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 am

I've been using Race Coordinator for several years ever since racing with the guys in MN. While they use Slot Trak, it was the fuel part that made me look for a system that had that. I use the fuel only when racing with friends and it is a blast!

I've also used it now for multiple proxies and have been very happy with it. The only thing I've not done is to hook it up to control the power. Not sure how to do that, but I'm a guy and haven't read the directions either... ;)
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby midmoslts » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:12 pm

David,

I would be willing to walk you through the process if you are interested. It's really not that hard to do. The main thing that is needed is a solid state relay that takes 3 to 5 DVC to trigger and can handel switching the amp draw of your track. The hook up to the track and to the PC is super simple.
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kidvoltage » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:09 pm

At DRS we have a board for just this purpose. Useful for situations that use the parallel port.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cgingras » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:26 pm

For the last 3 years, all our 24-hour races have used Race Coordinator and it's always been without a single problem. I use it on my track and I customized the race screens like I want them to be. It's really great!
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby midmoslts » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 pm

Christian,

I couldn't agree more. I know that some folks have reported having problems, but I think it has more to do with not full understanding the software than actually having a problem. At times I had thought I was having a problem that in the end turned out to be me not fully understanding what I was doing even though I thought I did. When I figured out what the problem was I quickly realized that I was doing something wrong.

Classic case example...
During a race heat the voice would say "new race leader" when as far as I could tell the position on the track for the lead had not changed. As it turns out, the voice is saying "new RACE leader" not HEAT leader. The reference is to the overall race results as it is running on the track and not the heat that is running live at that moment. So a change in position behind the leader may indeed change the overall RACE leader, but not the lead in the HEAT that is running. Confusing when thought of out of context, but when thought of overall you can see how it came to be that way. In the beginning I thought it was a bug. Not so. That is how it was intended to be and in the grand scheme I get it.

Also a quick thanks, as you track build was an inspiration for my track build. Love what you did. Love what you do for the hobby. Thank you!
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby super2nr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 pm

Im switching over as I type, had 3 different old pooters to try since the oldest was still win 98. On my forth and still need a usb cable to serial port. but have it on my main and played around with it for the last few days. Wednesday night we'll see.
super2nr

Previous

Return to Layout Planning & Design