Beats the #%¥!* Out of a Pool Table

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Beats the #%¥!* Out of a Pool Table

Postby fourshipp » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Hey folks. Well, the debut of Carrera 1/32 digital racing in the man cave has been a huge success. We've had several nights of three drivers and two ghost cars running all five cars on the track. The digital format has been a blast. We are using the SmartRace app to manage qualifying and races. I have been able to use the speed limiting feature to match all a five cars is speed, and we have been running a max speed of 4-4.5 with max braking. This is slow enough to minimize delsots but fast enough to overtake and you still must slow down for the corners. It also has made the throttle response on the wireless controllers very comfortable.

The only real shortfall with the current layout is with the configuration of my three lane changes, if you want to pit you have to change lanes at the end of the front stretch or the end of the back stretch. I need to incorporate an outside to inside change closer to the front straight.

We have started with 30-40 lap races with fuel tanks sized to require pit stops every 8-10 laps. With this speed limited set up, folks who are new to slots are able to drive consistently with 10-15 minutes of practice. Lap times average 5.5-6.5 seconds.

So, what is next? First expand and finalize the layout on the floor, and then build a table to get us off the floor. The current layout is approx 14' x 8'. We have 14' x22' of floor space in the basement. I'm thinking 15' x 5' or close. I'd like to add more track length to get lap times up to 9 seconds or so. The current "L" shaped layout does not transition well to a rectangle table so initial thoughts are to separate the front and back straights to the edge of the table and run a more technical section through the middle of the table. Either a "U" shaped layout or a modified "8" with the smaller loop inside the larger and an elevated crossover. I'd also like to incorporate a high banked 180, cause I think they are cool.

I have several basic table questions:

What is the nominal table height?

What's is the max width to be able to reach across and retrieve deslotted cars from the fat side of the table? With one or two drivers, I'd like to avoid having to walk all the way around the table to reslot.

Are there any general layout basics that work best or should be avoided? I already discovered the issue with having a curved track section leading into a lane change.

I think I will try the Carrera layout software to get started. This will help me determine what pieces to buy. All of my current track is used in the layout pictured.

Feel free to chime in with suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Bruce
fourshipp

Re: Beats the #%¥!* Out of a Pool Table

Postby carlosinseattle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Have you read the article posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13935

He gives some great advice, and a lot of ideas from other users are on the thread too.

Mostly I just want to say welcome to the world of Carrera Digital!!! I love digital and Carrera is my favorite. The main point on settling on a semi permanent layout is to be sure it is fun to drive. I made the mistake of trying to cram as many feet of track as I could into a layout. The problems I had were line of sight, other people had so much trouble learning the layout, and cars de-slotting in the infield area that was hard to reach.

And a table height of 4 feet to 4.5 feet should be fine. Mine was a little higher because I'm tall, and I've seen a couple tracks that are pretty tall. And just be sure there is some type of barrier wall so your cars don't fly off the table. I'm sure you'll receive a bunch of useful information and feedback soon.
carlosinseattle

Postby fourshipp » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Yes, I have read Czar's article. I've read all the threads in this track layout section. Good stuff! I have a pretty good idea of what I want. I just am trying to avoid common mistakes like I experienced with the lane changes.

I swapped my left and right lane changes once to get the outside to inside change just prior to the pit lane. That left a curved section before each chang. It took a fair bit of searching and reading on the forum to learn why hat doesn't work...these are the types of errors I hope to avoid as I expand my layout.

Thank you for the reply.
fourshipp

Postby fourshipp » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:16 pm

I think we have a plan for a 16 x 6 track. Plans are to use banked turns in the big 180 on the left and add a pit lane on the front stretch. We may add a straight section on and off the 180 to aid in the transition from curved to flat.

Due to the lack of R1 curves off of straights, I will have to use straight LCs. Any suggestions on where best to place them in this layout.

Thanks,

Bruce
fourshipp

Return to Layout Planning & Design