[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New buiding and track

New buiding and track

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

New buiding and track

Postby rick42 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:49 pm

I am 90% finished on my slot car building remodel. This is a pic of my 3rd layout since the remodel. I think I am going to wear out the track trying different layouts. Its a carerra 132/124 scale track. I have both digital and analog control units , and both have the wireless controllers. The analog is hooked up at the moment. The thing I like about the analog , I can run the cars in either direction. Its like having 2 different tracks. I ran this layout today , and there are still things I dont like about it. Im sure I will change it soon.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New buiding and track

Postby Broman62 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Looking good so far 42!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:53 am

Looks like you are getting close to a track design that flows good and is not too technical to be fun. Lot more fun to run the cars than to be continually putting them back in the slot.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:28 am

Yeah it is a pain constantly deslotting. Your right ,it flowspretty well , and I like it better than the previous ones. Only problem I really have with it is , coming up on the ramp on the right side. I have a small corner piece in there and the corner joining the dip in the ramp is causing a problem. I might keep the same layout and try to not have a corner going directly into the ramp. The ramp piece is the contoured ramp that carerra sales. It is curved in , concaved , or whatever you call it. I might try taking it out and using a flay straight instead.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:49 am

Looks good and agree on the other comments about making a track too technical. You need a few bits to keep it from getting boring, but flat out racing against the clock is a lot of fun without the pain of cautious deslotting areas.

I run both digital and analog as well, but find I run analog 80% of the time.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Flow is good but you can make a track to easy to drive hence it will get boring faster. You basically have a speed track which is fine but I think you need to add a small technical section to slow you down a bit and change up the rhythm. I like the room you have. :text-bravo:

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:57 pm

I'll disagree about a track being too easy to drive and getting boring. Ask all the guys on here that race on ovals how boring it is when you have 2-3 cars side by side lap after lap just waiting for somebody to overdrive just a bit or slide the back end around too much. I guess if you just run pace laps by yourself it can get boring, but I think that is boring on any track if you don't have another person to race against.

On the above track I would even change the overpass area to make it a better driving track. With the speed today's plastic cars have, you could never get full potential unless you run on about 8 volts.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Is the track setup to run right to left or left to right (like American racing)?
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Actually , thats what I like about carerra analog. You can flip the switch on the bottom of the car and run it both ways. So its actually 2 tracks in one. But it was setup to run clockwise. Its a pretty fast track the way it is. Which is a simple layout. As I stated above , this is the third layout with this track. Each time I change it, I try to make it better. And by better , I mean a little busier or more challenging. Im just not very creative with track building yet. BUT, Im learning. I have changed the table 3 times also. I welcome any and all advice and comments. Also I do have a brand new adjustable power supply that can make it very easy to drive , or very difficult. Thanks for all the response.

Rick
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:47 am

From what I have read in other posts, you are mostly a solo racer and the occasional visits from the grand kids. With that said, just find a design that works for you and your racers.

Since you discovered the true benefits of adjustable power, now you can create something a little more challenging for yourself (if that is your goal) and not make it too difficult for the young ones.

My track isn’t very technical either. Solo racing is what it sees most times and when I do, I just like enjoying the car itself. But just different strokes...different folks. I like simple.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Mayberryman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:36 pm

rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:56 pm

]I think I finally got the pictures resized to upload. Let me rephrase that , my WIFE did.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:09 pm

First off I admit I "stuff" too much track in the space I have available, and with 128 feet and 12 second T/A laps I feel I get a "full lap" in.

That being said I also judge the success of my designs (change mine up every several years) on equal lap times for either lane.

Most of the track time is solo, but my goal is that no matter what lane you end up in, each lane has a equal chance when the occasional visitor stops by.

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:32 pm

4th layout with this track.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Layout Planning & Design