[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Getting Started in Slot Cars - Set Choices

Getting Started in Slot Cars - Set Choices

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Getting Started in Slot Cars - Set Choices

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Getting Started in Slot Cars - Set Choices

Postby slothead » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:02 pm

I have 2 routed tracks and am beyond needing a starter track, but checked this thread out anyway to see what new folks might be dealing with as I remember getting my first racing sets decades ago.

Someone looking for a Christmas gift might wonder why the price difference and if it's warranted. On the LEB Hobbies website the Carerra set is $116 (discount price) and the Scalextric is $172. My 2 cents worth of advise is the Scalexrtric set has more track and features, especially if you have a tablet and intend to use the ARC One features. I watched the video of Harry's grand daughter running a race and after seeing how comfortable kids are with tablets and apps I foresee hours of fun being had on this set. BUT, if the setup shown in the video and images is of the complete set, the fact that it doesn't come with boarders or a fence for the outside of turns is a big disappointment. Maybe the magnets in the cars make it possible to actually race without boarders or a fence but I think it's still going to be a point of frustration.

The Carerra track, even though just s simple figure 8 at least it has fences and can be raced on. For little ones where it's just going to be set it up, plug it in and let then have at it I'd recommend the Carerra track. If there is an interest in actual racing, using the Arc One features, and expending the set I think the Scalextric set is worth the extra cost - BUT INVEST IN SOME BORDERS or FENCES ASAP!

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Getting Started in Slot Cars - Set Choices

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Thank you sir. Very in depth feedback that is priceless.

You make a good point on guard rails. But to answer the question, yes the cars are stuck down enough so we can race at that limited speed. I agree they NEED these in the sets but what do we know eh?

The price difference is all about the ARC as you mentioned.

Over the years the #1 question I hear from newcomers with a new set is: "What about lap counters/timing". They want to have some simple racing and although the Carrera offers great track, there is no analog set that has it. You must purchase a system with many looking at the Carrera brand counter/timer. This lap counter option is the (now outdated and clumsy to use) Carrera bridge. Only those that have attempted to use it can relate on how unfun this counter is to use. And with a sticker price of about $60.00, this puts the price difference in the two sets much closer. In fact I will give Scalextric the edge here on the easy, and much more advanced ARC system. As you mentioned, my little one had no issues "managing" that app.

After using the ARC app, the first thing my grandson said was "I wish my track had that".

So from my own personal perspective, that meant a great deal.

But from a budget standpoint and a wider, smoother track itself...Carrera has it.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to Layout Planning & Design