[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - First Track

First Track

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

First Track

Postby Apec » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Hey guys, just looking for some tips/advice. This is my first time mapping my track and only second track I have built since buying my first Carrera GO set for my son.

It equals 55'.

I am also including a photo of my first track. You can see I talked my son out of the loop for our second track.

Its ok to be harsh!!

Next up is nailing down a design and building a table.
Apec

Re: First Track

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Glad you got rid of the loop. That is the first step to scale slot car racing in 143 scale!
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bigman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 pm

:text-goodpost: That's not a bad looking layout. :text-bravo:
Looks like you have everything you need to have a great race. :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-driving:

bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Apec » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:00 pm

I am trying to make it “flow more” like I see so many 1:32 tracks. Do I need more 2/45 and 3/45 for that?
Apec

Postby ourwayband » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:43 pm

That is a great looking track..
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:18 pm

buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:19 pm

The track looks good, just remember to keep it fun so your son remains interested. And, let him make and fix things. One of my grandsons raced with me all the time since he was 6 or 7, but whenever something needed doing I did it. So, when he left for college this year he still hadn't learned how to wire up a track, solder, design and build a chassis, etc. He was participating in my hobby more than making it his own, and that was my fault.

On the up side, when he came home for Thanksgiving and came over to see me, after about 5 minutes he wanted to know if he could run some laps on the road course, and raced car after car till we got called to dinner. When he comes home for Christmas break we'll do some real racing and maybe scratch build a car together with him doing most of the work.

Fun comes first, then teaching and learning basic skills follows.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby munter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 am

More flow? get rid of the curve mid long straight for one thing.

When I built my track I wanted....the longest straight I could get, a set of esses, a sweeper or banana and a hairpin.
I also managed some slight banking and a changing radius corner...it was my fourth routed track.

I havent had much to do with plastic track but believe the different elements are important. I tried to avoid short straights as well.
Also dont be tempted to put too much track in. Sometimes less is more.

Build your table to suit your space and try different designs out before fixing anything down.
One advantage of sectional track is that changes are relatively easy.

Keep it in the slot and keep it fun.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Apec » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:24 pm

I have to say I really am not a fan. With a tuning motor and even the stock motor and no brakes, you can’t use full throttle with tuning and barely with stock motor on the longest straight (which still is short). Would it be better for me to add brakes, or lower voltage?
Apec

Postby mattb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 pm

both
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:53 pm

If your running GO cars with traction magnets or even GO cars no mag with urethane tires, then you should be able to use full throttle on the longer straights. I set up a layout that is much smaller than yours and still use full throttle on the main straightaway and a 180 degree R2 banked curve. The R2 and R3 banked curves can be taken at really high speeds and in some cases full speed. It also can take some laps to learn a new layout in which case the lap times will come down.

Running the rear tires over the stick side of some masking tape really helps as well.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Apec » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks Brian. I forgot to mention I was running 20V. I am now back to 14.7V and using Evo controllers.

This track is a lot of fun and everyone very much likes it
Apec

Return to Layout Planning & Design