New track

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

New track

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 pm

I am going to do a wood track so I have a couple of quick questions

3/4 inch MDF is the stuff to use?

Was going use tinned copper braid set into the track. I think I can get this from Slot Car Corner?

I used a GO templating tool and will use this as a guide. My plan is to do the outside lane and the move the inside lane in the appropriate spacing for 132 cars. Pit lane will only be a single lane and I will have a couple of digital crossovers for lane changing and pit entry.

I will have two inserts done up, one road course and one oval. I want to run some digital 143 scale NASCAR. Should be fun with refueling and lane changing with four cars

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New track

Postby CJR » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:07 am

This should turn out quite awesome.
CJR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vonsirius » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:19 am

Sounds Cool!!!!
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:05 am

I just read Harry's how-to , so I think I got all the info I need

I'll post some pictures when I get started
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:20 am

Always great seeing a new track in the works. Will follow :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Broman62 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:04 am

Layout scheme looks good Barc...speed with technicality!! 1/2" will work just fine and less heavier...I think that's what most guys go with 1/2"!! Good luck on your new adventures!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:08 am

That will be a nice track. 3/4 is overkill in my view. Most use 1/2. Others swear by 3/8 for its flexibility. I have used both 3/8 and 1/2 and either thickness has its own advantages or weaknesses so it's a toss up to me as to which is best. I got all of my braiding supplies in the past at SCC. You will have to check current stock at the SCC website. While you are there check out their special router bit for cutting the recesses. It is sweet because it has a 1/8 guide pin in the center of the bit which allows the bit to follow the slot without a router fence. It will save you a ton of time and is well worth the money.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:56 am

Looks like a great project Dan, gonna watch your progress.
Are you gonna keep the Kleskun Hills raceway or replace it with this new track?
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:11 am

I realize this plan might be ambitious for the router. Plan is to build a router fence with plastic moulding secured with large finishing nails every couple of inches for the twisty section.,

This will not progress as fast as the new PDR did. Shooting to have it running by October

Kleskun Hills will remain functional until this track has been braided. KH was an experimental thing to find out how well 1/43 cars could be scratchbuilt and run magless. I also experimented with Carrera digital, and I will stay with that in a hybrid form. Chipping each lane for analog running has proven to be just what a wanted. It has functioned well with zero problems. The programable brakes and voltage to the rails has been a very cost effective approach to having adjustable controllers. In addition I get all the bells and whistles that digital offers. I also am running more 132 now so the lane spacing on the new track will be built to accommodate this fact. The oval section will have a wider lane spacing then the inside twisty section where it will be harder to pass. I am also going to scavenge the electronics out of the GO lane changers. The GO changers use a solenoid to move the rail in both directions and there is none of the mechanical trip mechanism that is required as on their 132 track. This will make it much easier to incorporate into the routed track. I will have to router some void space on the underside of the MDF to accommodate the required electronics and hardware.

In short it should be an adventure
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 am

Dan,

Sounds like a great plan there! I like it all!

I have never worried about the MDF thickness - even the thinner stuff if built properly can hold me up.

As for the speed of the PDR build - that is an anomaly - I just plugged away at it with some spare time.

Instead of building your own routing strip - I have to highly recommend the one Luf and now D3D sells - makes it VERY fast to do.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Return to Layout Planning & Design