[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - copper tape with conductive adhesive

copper tape with conductive adhesive

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

copper tape with conductive adhesive

Postby rick42 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am

I found some copper tape with conductive adhesive. Would this be ok for my new routed track ? Found it at "Find tape.com
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: copper tape with conductive adhesive

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby frank9129 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 am

Harry,
I used copper tape with conductive adhesive the last time I rebuilt Crab Alley Speedway.
It has been on the track for over two years now and has not been a problem. I even keep my track on a car port. It is subject to all the changes of weather.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 am

Results vary. Not saying it doesn't work, just my personal advice.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am

Harry is talking about the primary connections for power to the lanes.

Conductive adhesive is important for repairs to the tape. Or if you run out of tape on a lane before you finish the loop. In these situations, you have to restart the taping from where you left off, and to do that, you need to start the new roll from underneath the end of the old roll, which makes conductive adhesive the only way to avoid making the connection by poking dozens of tiny holes in the overlap with a very sharp point. As always, nothing is as important as burnishing the tape again and again when you are installing it to insure long life.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby rick42 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 am

Well I ordered a roll of the venture tape everyone talks about and also a roll of the conductive adhesive type. As Harry said , any kind will work well , so I am thinking I will probably go with the conductive adhesive type just to give a little added help on my part. Im new to this , so I need all the help I can get. And I will also solder where needed. Going to buy a router today. Got my track drawn out on the MDF. Now to try to get it routed. I am going to do some routing on a test piece first.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:46 am

One more little trick you can do if needed. When I have a damaged area in the tape, and have to do a patch, I overlap by a half inch or so, and use an exacto knife tip to push through both pieces of tape. It helps make sure you have good connection all around.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby rick42 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 am

Does the patch job work with both kinds of tape or just the conductive adhesive type ?
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:56 am

That sort of patch will work with any kind of tape. This track is copper taped and it had to be taken apart so it could be moved. If I recall correctly there were about a dozen sections and when the track was reassembled those splices were used with no problems.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:41 am

Like I said...

"In these situations, you have to restart the taping from where you left off, and to do that, you need to start the new roll from underneath the end of the old roll, which makes conductive adhesive the only way to avoid making the connection by poking dozens of tiny holes in the overlap with a very sharp point."
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to Layout Planning & Design