Cross section in a routed track ?

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Cross section in a routed track ?

Postby rick42 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 am

I am building my first routed track. Con you put like a figure 8 type cross section in the layout ?I know the cars can crash , but I can deal with that. Will the cross interfere with the copper tape ?
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Cross section in a routed track ?

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm

I've seen it done, in fact some HRW members may remember a gathering years back that had all the cars decorated with huge wood screws and saw blades for the demolition derby.

Beyond 3 lanes, it gets problematic. The wiring is easy to figure out because the cars will coast across the gap easily, its the intersection of the slots that require some tinkering. The usual way to make it work smoothly is to narrow the proximal slot and open the distal one, so that the guide is aimed right as it starts to cross the gap, and has the best chance to be caught on the other side of the gap. It doesn't seem to matter whether the crossing is a 90 degree or an acute angle, so you can make it anything you want to fit the space you are in.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby rick42 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Yeah , this will only be a two lane track. And will probably be a 90 degree cross. But then again I might attempt an overpass instead . Just getting some ideas together before I start.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:42 pm

If you can deal with the crashing, which usually all it accomplishes, then yes it's possible. Just a fair amount of added wiring.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to Layout Planning & Design