New Scenery Options

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

New Scenery Options

Postby dw5555 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:52 am

When I built my track 3 years ago in a few spots around the track I built up the area leading up to the track edge with play sand just to do something different. I didn't do the whole track cause I didn't know how it would hold up and I didn't want sand all over the track. I then sprayed it with the Elmer's glue mixture to seal it. I never gave it a second thought until I redid a section of track and pulled everything up. I literally had to use a scraper and hammer to get this concrete like mixture up. Who would have thought. Nothing ever broke off and got onto the track.
Don't be afraid to use your imagination and try something new. When the new section of track is down and running I've got about 10 lbs. of railroad ballast from my train days I'm gonna use.

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: New Scenery Options

Postby Dundee Denny » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:27 am

Interested on how the ballast goes down and looks!

Going to build a "desert scene" version of Dundee Speedway in our cottage garage and wanting not to have "that edge".

Thanks for sharing!!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:51 am

When pulling up old ballast, I found if you soak the area with warm water and let it sit for 30 minutes the glue softens and the stuff can be scraped off like pancake batter.

A little hint for next time. It makes removing scenery to change something much easier.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby olddude13 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Im using ground up walnut shells used for blasting you can find it Harbor freight
olddude13

Return to Layout Planning & Design