[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Ceiling dropped track layout possible?

Ceiling dropped track layout possible?

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Ceiling dropped track layout possible?

Postby dfontanese » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm new to this forum, having just done a search in my quest to build a Scalextric track layout. I found the how to build article:

http://www.homeracingworld.com/easyartin2lane.htm

which gave me some great ideas regarding the build of the table and legs, so thanks for all that info.

But I want to go a bit further with that design and enable it to be stowed off the floor, using some sort of lift capability to raise it to (or near) the ceiling in my laundry room.

I would not build legs into the table itself (to keep it lighter) - I'd build the table as the article suggests (a bit larger though, as a 10' x 10') - and lower it onto the sawhorses that would lock into the table once lowered.

Any ideas as to feasability of this concept (e.g. would there be too much weight, wiring issues, etc) anyone can think of?

I believe the ceiling has joists that would support the weight, but don't have much of an idea as to how to manage the lift.

I could use detachable steel cables once lowered (to improve access during use), but what to use to actually lift the table and how to do it keeping it level while lifting?

I'm no engineer, but I can think of some rudimentry possibilities, but was looking for some other ideas form some who may have tried and succeeded and/or failed at this sort of concept.

I'd like it to be motorized, but not sure how much weight this would be for a 10' x 10' table (minus the legs) with all the track and wiring.

Finally, assuming this could all be done, what sort of budget would this entail? The table in the article came in around $200. If I could do this for another $250 - $300, I could hanlde that.

So, are there any engineers, carpenters out there with any experience or ideas regarding this project?

I'd be happy to share with the forum all photos, video, details, costs, etc. if I can figure out feasability in advance and actually attempt a build out.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Fontanese
dfontanese

Re: Ceiling dropped track layout possible?

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi Dave,
First of all, welcome! Glad you are here and building a track.
Yes, this has been done before.
Typically with the detachable cables as you describe. A relatively light weight electric winch with brake will handle it (we aren't talking tons here). I have an old ATV winch I got for $20 at a rummage sale that is plenty strong, for example.
The cabling is easier to see than describe but you basically build a harness. There are YouTube videos showing lifted tracks.

There are lightweight table construction methods as well.
Kind Regards
Paul
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:11 am

I saw this on TV a long time ago,

This guy was great.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:40 am

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby PWflyr » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:31 pm

You asked if anyone had experience with a lift. I built a 10 x 16 table that lifted to my garage ceiling. My budget was similar to yours but in the end I upgraded from a manual winch to an electric hoist and that pushed it closer to $700. The table worked good but for various reasons I abandoned the project at that point. If you are interested I could post some pix and a video.

Where are you? If we could work out shipping I would make you a great deal on cable, pulleys, clips, and an electric winch. Or maybe a trade of some kind.

While I was planning, I found a book at the library about model railroad benchwork that helped a lot with lightweight table design. Or google L-Girders and Grid systems.

Paul
PWflyr

Postby Ogre » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:42 am

I changed the size to fit my track.

Ogre

Return to Layout Planning & Design