[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - First wood layout questions

First wood layout questions

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Re: First wood layout questions

Postby DrumPhil » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:59 pm

DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Just a tidbit: Don't kill yourself trying to create "equal" lane lengths. If it comes close, great. But no matter what, there will just be a fast lane. Just use lane rotation when racing to even things out.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:28 am

Nice job on the model Phil !
It certainly helps me see what is in your head. I like the "corkscrew" on the RH side and that banked curve to the left end after you come down off the bridge.
You could probably just use the graph paper drawing you have (make copies) and superimpose 4X8 on to them. I would make each twisty part in separate pieces and join them with "straights",leave overlap,route a part,trim at the joint,route the next part and joint until you come back to the beginning.
Luf is building right now so you are in good company. :D
If you want to try something else you can mock up full size with cardboard sheets. Davidson's probably would give to you.

2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:35 am

You all make good points. For the sake of keeping the first track simple and getting things done I'm going back to the original 4x8 idea. I've rendered it in 3D with a few elevation changes. The lower right hairpin is a bit of an homage to turn 1 at COTA. When it comes to drawing it on wood, I'll try to make a sweeper out of the big curve and will make sure not to make the hairpin too tight.

Johnny, the bad news is that the budget and list of home projects means I can't start making sawdust just yet. It'll happen, but probably not until June.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:03 am

That'll be a fun track !
I know you were concerned it would get tiring, but driving the track is only one part of the hobby.
The cars,scenery, electronics and fellowship will keep the hobby fun.
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:11 pm

In my previous slotting experience, the great majority of my driving was alone. Considering that, I realized that making my first routed track a single-lane test track would have several advantages:
- longer lap length in the same 4x8 space
- more interesting driving layout
- more space available for scenery, which I enjoy building
- lower startup cost due to only one controller, smaller power supply and simpler wiring

By lowering the cost, I should be able to get started sooner. So, not to beat a dead horse, but I have a new layout plan. Here is a picture. Driver's station would be at the bottom of the layout.

The heavy black shaded areas will be something like tire walls. The red-black dashed lines will simply be painted lines on the tarmac, not actual walls, to allow more tail-out space. One negative is the layout doesn't offer much opportunity for elevation changes. Maybe we can put a little undulation in the back straight or lift the left edge, like how the paper is curling.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:53 am

I like the idea of a 1 lane test track. If you are going to be racing solo it makes a lot of sense from the cost and flexibility perspectives. The 1 lane can be the ideal driving line around the track to take advantage of the full width. This is what I'm going to do with my indoor-outdoor 4'x8' oval. if you add timing and lap counting you can make it challenging and have a way to work on tuning cars.

Things to consider:
* on the left side you have 3 small back & forth turns in sequence, which could be challenging or really hard to negotiate. What about making that one big sweeping corner? For a track that's 48" wide, allowing for 5" of outside space for drifting, you can still have a 19" radius turn which you can carry good speed around without magnets. You can also have a varying radius turn that either tightens up (fast entry w/ slower exit), or widens out (slower exit w/ increasing speed on exit).

* if the outer and inner turns on the left aren't connected (shared drifting space) you can separate them and raise the outer turn for elevation and even some banking which will create uphill and downhill sections on either side.

My oval was being designed as a flat track, but this has me thinking I could add elevations and some banking too at each end.

Planning to me is as fun as building and racing, so this is all good. What we end up with probably won't be exactly like we imagine it, but starting a project without a plan is just asking for trouble in my way of thinking.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:05 pm

Nearly free to route a second lane.....tape,wire and controller later.
Someone may see you having a lot of fun and want to join you :shhh:
You can do dangerous stuff...... like most of the track is too close to pass,lanes cross :o or use part of the straight for a pitlane.
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:56 pm

Looks like a good proxy track too.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:43 pm

image.jpegLayout will probably get minor tweaks its wood, but wanted to post a picture to show that this project is slowly creeping forward. When the time comes to make dust fly, I'll start a build thread in the lumber yard forum. Thanks for the encouragement.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Quite the stash !
Next stop Seward Lumber.
Good choice on the Lap timer...one of the best investments we ever made. When it comes time we can get that off battery.
Press on Brother ! :handgestures-thumbup:
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:56 pm

DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:24 pm

2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Sun May 08, 2016 8:52 pm

With small modifications to the 1-lane layout I was able to add some more significant elevation changes. I like this layout because every corner is different, and the ups and downs make each section feel unique. It looks easy to route and cut, so I think this will be the layout for this first wood track.

Hopefully I'm only a couple weeks from getting MDF and starting construction.

:D
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DrumPhil » Mon May 09, 2016 8:02 am

DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Layout Planning & Design