[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera banked turns

Carrera banked turns

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Carrera banked turns

Postby Bub » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm

I thinking it might be fun to add a banked turn to my Carrera layout. Am I correct in assuming that a 1/30 banked corner set-up would be a direct replacement for the flat 1/60 corners that come with the sets?

The 1/30 looks kind of tight, if I were to go with the 2/30 or 3/30 would I spend the rest of my days figuring out track parts to make it line up?

I have Ultimate Racer 3.0 but haven't seen the banked corners as an option, so I'm kind of in the dark (as usual!).
Bub

Re: Carrera banked turns

Postby RazorJon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 pm

I have banks on my track,the 1\30 banks do not like some cars, the 2\30 are great the 4\15 are like straights, hold the hammer down, good luck and get a pack of 1\4 and 1\3 straights you will get it together
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Bub » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks Jon, I had a feeling it might not be plug and play for the larger radii corners :)
I just watched the HotSlots youtube video on banked corners, and it occurred to me that maybe my 1/24 cars might not work at all on the 1/30 and 2/30. I like the 3/30 and 4/15's, but man they could eat up quite a bit of real estate!
Bub

Postby RazorJon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:38 pm

yes it does
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Bub » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:34 pm

After seeing your awesome layout, I think I'm going to start looking for bigger house :)
Is that straight 16'+ or so?

Back to the topic: I've got some 2/30 banked track coming from a supporter of HRW , and also 1/4 and 1/3 straights which was a good suggestion. I told my wife the banked corners were for her so she wouldn't fly off the track so much. Let's keep that on the down low...

I was mistaken about Ultimate 3.0 - they do have banked corners listed.
Bub

Postby RazorJon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 pm

the straight is 40 feet long and it was my wifes idea :banana-rock:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby bamdogg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:55 am

I'm wondering whether to cut down to a 2/30 myself. I have a 1/30 on mine now, but it just seems like the cars come off wayyy too easy sometimes (ok, when my kid is running, I can see why, haha). Plus if I want to ever convert my oval into a RC, having a 2/30 banked corner here or there would look much better than a huge bank. Now if I could only get my table building started.......ugh.
bamdogg

Postby Bub » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:43 pm

I'll post my results this weekend after testing with my wife, also known as "pedal to the metal". I'm thinking of making all corners banked if it will keep her from flying off the track... :)
Bub

Postby bamdogg » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Trust me, banked will only serve as a launching pad. My two year old loves going full tilt (I have to rig his controller somehow I think) and the cruddy cars I give him fly off the track like planes.
bamdogg

Postby RazorJon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:12 am

RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby bamdogg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:37 am

I'll have to give it a try.

Off topic though, I'm building a 6x14 table for my track, do you think thats good enough room for a good layout 2 laner. I have a smaller oval right now, part of me wants to make a larger oval, and part of me wants to go the road course route. Do you think that is a good size to convert to a RC in the future if need be. My basement is really weird design wise and 14' is the longest wall I have even though the whole basement is huge (its divided into 3 equally crappy sections for some reason).
bamdogg

Postby RazorJon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 pm

our first layout was on a 8X8 table and we raced the heck out of it, then I would add a sheet of plywood as I picked up track, and we grew
do you use the other rooms? if you tore down one wall you could build a monster and still have lots of storage under your track
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby bamdogg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Its a rental, no dice there.

I could always expand into a nice sized L design if need be as I have plenty of room to do so in that regard. I dont want anything super big, just enough to have some nice racing as my kid grows up (and with baby #2 in 2 months, something to occpy him with as well). Your layout is just mind boggling in every aspect, I can only wonder how much speed you get on the back stretch there. What tires you think work best on the Carrera track too, I only have stocks on right now. It actually seems the newer cars work a lot better than the ones I have that are a couple years old. Still new at this on the home track, trying not to ask too many questions.
bamdogg

Postby RazorJon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:22 pm

we have alot of L shaped layouts on HRW figure your new foot print and I can draw you up a track, I have the old carrera track planner

on my back straight you can open them up, but slower better handling cars win the races

I like Paul Gage Tires, they sand easy and work well on a dusty track

Questions are what we are here for so ask away
if # 2 is born Feb 21 he or she will share a birtday with the Scoty tool winner :banana-rock:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Return to Layout Planning & Design