[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Detailing Plastic Track - Great Article!

Detailing Plastic Track - Great Article!

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Detailing Plastic Track - Great Article!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:18 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Detailing Plastic Track - Great Article!

Postby Burrell » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:10 am

I knew this article was coming at some point. Thanks for the great info, John! As someone in the process of moving and getting ready to rebuild my plastic track, I'm glad to have it for reference.
Burrell
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:35 am

John what an excellent article you have put together.
kudos and thanks as I am sure many a racer will find valuable information
from your insights and experience.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby TsgtRet » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Outstanding article! As I am in the process of doing my plastic track layout, many of these processes are going to help. Thanks!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:59 pm

I've put together about every kind of plastic track the last 30 years and even some junky stuff back in the 60's. I've built routed tracks and currently Carrera plastic, which allows changes every year or towo.

I'd like to add 3 points.

Taps are really desired so your cars have immediate throttle response even on the back side of your track.

Track design can be a lot of things, but most important is "FUN". Forget "technical", "hi-speed", "realistic" and other terms. Design and experiment with your track so it is fun for you and everybody else. It's not much fun to constantly be putting cars back on the track and not being able to run a couple cars side by side lap after lap.

Track pieces can be cut to any degree of corner or straight length. You are not obligated to use only factory produced pieces. It takes minimal skill to remove rails and cut track and glue it back together. Rails can easily be cut to fit right back where they were or the track piece can have copper tape applied, which many guys like to put on all their plastic tracks. A glue gun and scrap plastic makes it easy to make up any kind of piece you need. From seeing the work on this website I bet most everybody can make track sections they desire. Plastic is fine, routed is fine. It's all fun and the same hobby.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:07 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby MichiganCur » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Nice, thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
MichiganCur
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:44 pm

Well done!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Absolute great write-up John!!! :text-thankyouyellow:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Hotrodbob » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:04 pm

That is great. I painted my last Carrera track with Rustoleum texture paint. It made a big difference for RTR cars, but not for the foam tire type cars. I will try the latex paint next.

Just quick question. I like the layout design, can you tell us the table dimensions?
Hotrodbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby carlosinseattle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:30 am

In the first paragraph of the article John says "With some additional work (tuning) you
can eliminate all of the drawbacks of plastic – except one." What is the one drawback of plastic track that cannot be eliminated??????
carlosinseattle

Postby Czar » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:14 am

Bob, sorry to be so late in answering your question. Table dimensions are: 16 ft. x 7 ft. The "esses" are made up of #3 and #4 curves.

Also, not sure I mentioned it in the article, but at the location of each lane change receptor light, I painted a small yellow bar. This is so the point of lane change can be seen and anticipated.

Carlos, the only thing that (in my opinion) you can't do with plastic is have lanes with custom radius corners and/or non parallel lanes, like Luf does with his layouts.
Last edited by Czar on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Hotrodbob » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:31 am

Hotrodbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:33 pm

also with plastic track, you've got all those joints the cars click over. that one drove me crazy.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm

AWESOME advice. Thanks !
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Layout Planning & Design