[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Detailing Plastic Track - Great Article!

Detailing Plastic Track - Great Article!

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Re: Detailing Plastic Track - Great Article!

Postby eAddict » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 pm

eAddict

Postby glasshorsevh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:42 pm

I really appreciate the amount of work that went into this article. Invaluable stuff for those of us who are not going to wood for any number of reasons. Thank you very much for this!

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:48 am

Thanks again to everyone for the nice words about my article. I am happy to help, if I can. There is a lot of stuff about building wood tracks (I guess because it is so easy) but there doesn't seem to be much out there concerning plastic track. But, just like a RTR car, a little attention to detail when you set up the track can make a big difference in the performance of the finished product. Again, I am pleased that many of you have enjoyed the work.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 pm

With the sets that Scaletrix has out now you can run 4 to 6 cars all wirelessly , Professor Motor has on his web site has two extension packs, one for track and one for the boarders, and it does have which type of set that they will work with. Planning on building a layout with that and place it on a table with removable legs so it can to moved with no hassles. Now I just have to get the cars all set up and built first. Don't need to have to many projects going at once
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:36 pm

They also sell track chips so you do not have to mount the track to the table, and that allow for movement in the track. Would like to do a three lane routed table but that is a big undertaking that I am not ready for. So to build a 8' by 6' table that can be broken down and moved easily is what I am looking to do , and with being able to run more than two cars at a time is a plus
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:27 pm

The question that I have , will it be easy to take apart if you need to or with the copper tape willit be a bear to take apart if you need to ?
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:56 am

Now that is a good article, just about what I would like to do myself, and with the digital track sets they have out now it isn't hard to imagine a set like that. Now it is just time to start
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 pm

I know I will be using this article when I start building my track, thank you for all of the info
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 pm

I do have one question. Did you use an after market power supply , and can I ask which brand, and if need be , can you run other things off the power , as in tire truers and things like that
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Fathead59 - for what you've been mentioning using a plastic track set seems like the best bet, but I also want to let you know routing a track isn't as difficult as you might think. It gives you a lot of flexibility with the layout and things like corner radii and lane spacing. If you aren't going to have any changes in track elevation it can be routed right into that table top, as I did with my oval. Some HRW members have inserted plastic lane change sections into a routed track, so that can be done to create a hybrid plastic and routed setup for digital racing.

Search online if you want to see hundreds of layout options that could fit on the table you have planned. Regarding your table - you could keep it light by making a top out of a thin material such as 1/8" hardboard glued to 1" or 2" foam insulation sheets (adding some pine boards on the sides and bottom would add to the strength). You might also consider using plastic saw horses to put the top on - they're inexpensive and easy to put up and down.

I recommend getting a pad of graph paper and having fun trying out multiple designs. Advanced planning will be your best friend and you have the HRW community to bounce ideas off of and get feedback from.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby RichD » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:42 am

If you want to build a routed track that you can break down it might be better to use braid. Here is an article: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzLR42 ... sp=sharing
That track was built before we started to use 3M tape to stick down the braid, the tape method is much easier.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:08 am

Slothead , the tables I plan on making would be two , 4x8 sheets of 1/2 plywood with a leaf in the middle . 4" pvc pipe for legs . I will also use foam poster board for the barriers , so if you come into a curve to hot the cars came run on the sides a little bit . I will leave about a 1/4 inch gap between the track and foam board so if there is any track movement . Right now it is still in the planning phase , but I have most of the track to build it . I just need to make the two tables and the leaf . I want to make it so if it has to be broken down for anything it can be .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:09 am

And you are right about this web site , glad I found it . It is nice to have like minded people to bounce ideas off of .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:13 am

And I really do not plan on making lite , just sturdy . And tall enough so you can sit around it .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:04 pm

And I meant that I was going to try and make it as lite as I can
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Layout Planning & Design