[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scoring pylon, 7 segment displays?

Scoring pylon, 7 segment displays?

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Scoring pylon, 7 segment displays?

Postby midmoslts » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:17 pm

Not sure if this question belongs in this section or not, but I couldn't figure out a better location.

Anyone ever do a scoring pylon using 7 segment displays?

My track is in my basement and just happens to have a support post running right up through the center of one of the turns. I have had several different ideas on what I should do to it to make it look better, finished, fit in, or blend in. The other day I had a race on the TV behind the track while I was playing and as they ran down the front stretch I noticed the scoring pylon. Then I got to thinking that I could box in the post and make a static scoring pylon. I have a vinyl plotter so I could cut vinyl numbers to represent the position and car number. Add the track logo to a slightly larger section on the top and have a post that looked like it belonged in the center of the track rather than just a post that I had to work around.

Then as I was telling a fellow racer my thought he said.....Why not make it work?

I'm not sure what direction to go next. I wouldn't think it would be all that hard. I am using Race Coordinator for timing and scoring and it has the ability to do things that blows my mind. Now I'm not saying that I understand how to make it do them all, but I have had luck figuring out most of the ones that I have wanted to use.

Thoughts on how it may work...
Position number (Fixed number) / lane number (Displayed on a 7 segment display) IE...
1 3
2 2
3 4
4 1

OR

Position number (Fixed number) / Car number (Displayed on a 7 segment display) IE...
1 24
2 52
3 31
4 3

Could even do a lap number display on the top too using 3 7 segment displays. That would handle 0 - 999 laps.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before or would I be the first?
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Scoring pylon, 7 segment displays?

Postby indybob007 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:17 am

indybob007
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midmoslts » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:31 pm

That's it. I assume that the car numbers are static (fixed and don't change) on you pylon, but they sure look like the real deal. If they are the real deal how did you go about the logic that drives them?
midmoslts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby indybob007 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:22 am

Yes they are static. I just copied the real one. Race position was done with the white decals' Red is the car no. At top is no. of laps completed. Indybob
indybob007
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Layout Planning & Design