Dilemma

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

Dilemma

Postby Czar » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:27 pm

I am getting ready to paint my Carrera track (for the third time) because of the new digital configuration. On the Control Unit track, there is a nice big (really big) Start/Finish line painted on the track. But, the sensors that count the laps are a full 3mm behind the leading edge of the Start/Finish line, and the far edge is a full 7mm from the sensors. So, my consideration is: do I mask off the Start/Finish line, even thought that is not really the start finish line? Or, do I move the Start/Finish line to align with the sensors? If I do this and you judge the cars by sight, it is entirely possible for the car whose nose crosses the line first, is not the car to trip the light first. To some extent, the wheelbase and/or placement of the chip determines how close the nose is to the sensor light. Any other thoughts?

I am leaning towards moving the line since it is the counter that determines start, finish and lap times.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Dilemma

Postby dw5555 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:17 pm

I just masked the start/finish. I couldn't do as good a job as the factory and masking/cleaning the sensor is not an issue..
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Dilemma

Postby Czar » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks for the picture dw. You have convinced me to leave things as they are. It wouldn't be very accurate to have the winner decided when the start/finish line is back at the driver's door - even though that is when the winner is decided.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Layout Planning & Design