my basic layout and scenery

Plastic Or Wood
From Track Plans, Scenery, Power & Control
All Things Track Building!

my basic layout and scenery

Postby smallblockhero » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:57 am

sorry fellas ..no routed high detail here. but almost all the buildings are scratch made by me to resemble 50's - 60's period track buildings. its scaley sport track with an old scaley lighted gantry. i wired and lit up some of the buildings with LEDS for a fun night effect. some is real old train stuff as well. nothing is permanent so if you have any tips or ideas..please share. this is my first ever large scale stationary build. ive only had HO scale stuff on the living room floor back in the day. so this is kind of realising a small bucket list thing to do.

my big Esso man holds the webcam for the timing system.

lit up

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: my basic layout and scenery

Postby rbianchi » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:29 am

That is nice looking. I like the old garage with an old nascar and an open wheel car, what a well rounded mechanic! :D
rbianchi

Postby ourwayband » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:42 am

That is a great looking track.I bet she is fun to run on too..I really like your Tower,I'm guessing hand made?

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:56 am

Looking good! I love the buildings, they really ice the cake for me!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:07 pm

Looks great. You have a nice layout, does not have to be routed to be fun.

I see you are using a webcam too. I just started using that myself. How do you like it?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby smallblockhero » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:42 pm

thanks guys. i truly appreciate the comments.

The little garage, the tower , the little pitbox, and the track office building are all scratch made. started as tissue , cereal, an garbage bag boxes. i learned this from greenhorseracer on the UK slot forum. i saw his pics and everything looked period and thats what i wanted. it doesnt have to be super realistic...im not up to that challenge yet. maybe in time.

the garage was in tended to seem like the old days when they used wood sheds away from the pits and such. you read about the F1 guys having to drive the track just to get to the garage. then using the drive back to test the car.Multiple teams all using one garage and actually helping each other back in the day.

a friend and i just fully christened it the other day with us having a go on it with many cars changes . trying to see if she flowed well, no off camber harsh turns and such.to that point me and the girlfriend were the only ones who drove it. next thing we knew 5 hours passed and we were still jammin tunes and trying to set lap records..lol.

@HRW... i like the webcam. it seems to work perfect but a bit intrusive how i have it set up. but thats a small price to pay. the motion capture software used is the only issue. you have to pay like $45 for it or resort to a little torrent duty..i wont devulge what i did :naughty: .

btw.. i love your smokey quote. i was fortunate to have spent time with the man before we lost him. im a real life gearhead and have built a few hot rod engines, including the one i have now. the man was just amazing and i was in awe just listening to him.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 912 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:03 am

That's a time tested track design and with the scenery I bet it's easy to spend an evening having fun! If you're like a lot of us with routed tracks we all started with plastic - so maybe you've got wood in your future?

I love the buildings and scenery - to me you've captured the essence of slot cars; it's what appeals to the child in all of us (and keeps us young!).

Postby dreinecke » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 am

I find that working on my track and doing scenery items is theraputic. I love making buildings and such and your buildings immediately reminded me of how much fun I have simply building things. Great work!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby smallblockhero » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm

it has definately become my post army enlistment therapy. when im making buildings or doing a car build... my mind is clear and i feel good.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:09 am

Cool layout! The scratchbuilt buildings are great looking!
dge467
The King of Foil

Return to Layout Planning & Design