[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Lap counting system

Lap counting system

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Lap counting system

Postby jcis4me » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:31 am

Ok I see alot of tracks, beautiful scenery, but what I don't see is lap counters, any suggestions? Dead strips, led light sensors? Computer aided, DS Lap counters,What are you using???
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Lap counting system

Postby btaylor » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:04 am

There are a lot of things you can use, but it really comes down to one really good accurate choice,and that is Trackmate.
I have two systems, a six lane IR Sensor on the oval ,and a two lane IR set up on the road course. neither have ever missed a lap, or double counted. I would recommend this system to anyone wanting to spend the money for a timing system.
Read this review Harry had done, it is a no BS, straight forward install, with great product support.
They are not cheap, but quality rarely ever is.
PitRow/TrackMate/TrackMate.htm

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby RichD » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:06 am

Trackmate is probably the most popular system, all of the Shoreline Model Raceways tracks use Trackmate. Trackmate includes its own software, but there are also other programs with more features such as Ultimate Racer 3 and Race Coordinator that work with Trackmate hardware. The sensors that are used include dead strips, IR detectors, photo resistors, magnetic reed switches and microswitches. Dead strips and IR detectors are the ones that are most commonly used with 1/32nd tracks. Computer based systems are popular because they can manage lane rotations and things like fuel managment plus you can connect a computer to a large display. A powerful computer is not needed and an old one with a serial port is easier to use because your sensors can be connected directly to the computer. If your computer only has USB ports things get more complicated because you would either have to use Trackmate with a serial to USB adapter, the USB version of Trackmate or connect your sensors to something like an Arduino board. There are also several freestanding systems, such as Slot Dragon and DS.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:43 am

And to further this Discussion, I am not PC savvy in any way,and i am using the new USB system on a five year old Walmart laptop. It was plug and play from the start, only having to find the correct port to assign to the interface.
And even that was on the included CD for device driver updates. (almost sounds like i know what im talking about!)
But trust me, if i can do it, anyone can!
I should have posted the USB link from the start as Harry did, its the way to go in My opinion.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby jcis4me » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Now that is a lap counter, Harry your reviews are right on the spot as how to set it all up, from the drilling the holes and easy hot glueing. Looks like a track mate will be counting laps in the near future, especially for the Panamericana Race in Feb.
Thank you to all who responded!
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Alaskaracer » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 pm

I have to agree as well, Trackmate is so simple and easy to install. Wow Wood, that computer is awesome, work of art!
Alaskaracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:18 am

Couple of more questions . . .
How does TM handle with only 3 lanes? will the 4th lane just show as no laps? Then in the round robin format how would it move the racers? Will I have to shuffle each time the odd lane?

Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:12 pm

If you just wanna' count laps without a timer I homebuilt one.........
http://homeracingworld.us/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7624
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:29 pm

woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:26 am

If you have Trackmate software that defaults to four lanes. If you do not change that you will get an error message that one lane is not connected, so you have to go into the settings menue and change to a three lane track. At that time you would want to assign the right colors to the lanes and you could also enter the lap distance for each lane if you want the program to calculate a scale speed. There is a place to select the scale that you are using.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard