[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The Mini-Drome

The Mini-Drome

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

The Mini-Drome

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:16 am

Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: The Mini-Drome

Postby munter » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:29 am

Looks great Keith...I'm starting to like ovals thanks to various threads on here.

I cant help thinking that a figure eight must be better though.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:52 am

Great video - lots of cool references in there! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:29 am

Great demonstration that size isn't everything !

Sure, it would be nice to have a big road track with sweeping curves and long undulating straights - but you can have a lot of fun with a tiny oval, and there are plenty of small cars even in 1/32, so they won't look silly.

. . . and you can bring a small track indoors in Winter - so you don't freeze anything off!

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:57 am

You have a track, well done. I like the KISS method.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:58 pm

With the goal you had in mind, I think it superb! Nice work, and the fact that you worked with the Jedi-Master, Luf, on it - all the better! Hope the kids have a ball with it!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby ourwayband » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Look like fun to me!!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Thanks everyone.

John, I did consider a figure eight with an overpass and underpass so neither lane would require as much bending. I know the kids would love a flat eight with a criss-cross in the middle, but I don't think I can build cars fast enough to keep up with that scenario, eh?

Harry, what is the Kiss Method?

I got the last necessary bit of copper tape to cover and smooth the wire taps. Luf is going to cut me two strips of white plastic to make "safer barriers" for each end. I still plan to print advertising billboards onto sticker paper and line the barriers with them. I still have my crowd and catch fence from my first SLOP track.

I tested the track with an old train transformer, but I had bought a variable TrackMate power pack from a club-mate for a future project. It may be overkill for such a small track, but I think I will use it. The kids will need low power to begin with.

I have an old lap-top for timing and lap counting, but will need to get sensors.

So far, so good!

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:45 am

K epp
I t
S imple
S tupid
My way of living!!!
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm curious how the elliptical curves are to drive, as opposed to constant radius turns.

David
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:08 pm

I've only done a few laps on it, but the cars slide out at the mid point of the corner, where there is lots of room, rather than on entry or exit of the turns where they could hit the wall.
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VenturaAlfa » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Great little track and that video is outstanding!!

Harry, at the end of the video there is trailer figure 8 racing at Orange show speedway. You need to check that out for your trailer races.

The track in the video is, unfortunately, long gone. I remember that track very well from when I was a little kid. It is Ascot raceway in Gardena, CA the outside track was a 1/2 mile that held Grand National stock car races with a few guys some of you may know. There were names I grew up watching like Parnelli, Mario, Dan, Herchel McGriff, Petty just to name a few. Gurney and Jones both ended up with shops just a short distance from that track. They also held Sprint car, TT races and Motocross. If you look closely you can see the big jump for the motocross track in a couple of the figure 8 shots.

The best part was that they had ponds at either end of the track with Palm tree islands. No matter what was racing there somebody always managed to end up in the ponds. Used to be broadcast on the local TV channel.

The figure 8 guys were absolutely insane and that is being kind. Seat belts and roll bars were not mandated they were recommended and about 1/2 the guys had them. I still remember a hit that left me scarred for life. Car was turned around in the crossover and hit broadside on the driver's side. Driver's door opened as the car flipped and the seat, steering wheel, and driver all went flying out. He hit the fence near the grand stands. Did not make it. Horrible thing to see. Not to long after that they mandated that seats be bolted to the floor and that seat belts and roll bars be used in addition to making driver's side door hits out of bounds.

I was scheduled to drive a 360 non-winged sprint car in the final race there that belonged to an owner by the name of Mitch Culp. Unfortunately, he was injured in a wreck the week before that left him paralyzed and the car destroyed. He was 6'6' or so and hit the wall in between turns one and two top first. The roll cage was built for a 6 footer and his helmet hit the wall before the car did.

Ventura Alfa
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard