[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - How durable is copper tape?

How durable is copper tape?

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

How durable is copper tape?

Postby philo426 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:56 pm

How durable is copper tape? seems awlfully thin!(Studio Pro copper tape)
philo426
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: How durable is copper tape?

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:04 pm

There two thicknesses available commonly, others for stained glass craftsmen. Either of the two common thicknesses will last longer than your interest in the current track, and that's a fact. I stripped 17 year old tape from my current track when I started work restoring it, and it was very nicely stuck down, and NO wear-throughs, which amazed me. My old track had a place where the tape had corroded a bit and I retaped that section, but I could just as well have sanded or Brasso'd it to bring back full conductivity. If I wasn't using that as an excuse to re-rout the slot in a different path, I might not have re-taped at all.

P.S.- I should add that what is critical is using fresh tape. I do stained glass art, so I have a bunch of this stuff at all times, and I recently learned that the glue can dry out, making it peel up within a year. Just don't leave the package open for years at a time!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby philo426 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:24 pm

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some today.Considering the price of copper it was only 7 bucks! They had plenty too if i need more.what is even better is that the wiring was explained very clearly in another thread.Thank goodness for this forum!
philo426
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:54 pm

I was about to give you the stained glass artist's supply link for a better price, but there's not that much difference. The price went up since I bought any. I assume you bought 1/4 inch at that price. I wanted to steer people away from the creeps at Hooby Looby, you see. Bad folks.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby philo426 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:31 pm

I take it you had a bad experience?
philo426
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:32 pm

If you run real horsepower on copper tape it will tear it up. Depending on the application, if what you have in mind is todays 1/32 homeset cars, you should have no problem, or at least a minimum of issues. The big power and heavy vintage cars I ran on my figure 8 required that I do repair work on a regular basis. Since I'm running steel rail on plastic now, these problems have vanished. An occasional cleaning of the rail is all that is required + I get downforce, something you can't get from copper.

Xr4ti
Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:34 pm

bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:36 pm

bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:40 pm

The tape you bought is fine.

I used it for many years on my oval that has countless laps. The occasional break would happen but easily fixed. We raced a variety of models from vintage to modern.

I am 99% sure you will be happy.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby philo426 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:45 pm

I plan on running 1/24.i will keep tape on hand if it tears it up .Should i use pine,poplar or Masonite?
philo426
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Oh, I see I assumed you were further along. Use either regular weight or lightweight 3/4 inch MDF. In some situations, you can save money by using 1/2 inch, but it depends on your situation.

Hooby Looby is the outfit that got away with telling their employees that couldn't use birth control and be on the health care benefits prescription plan. Creeps.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Ok, Rob please. You know I don't like that kinda stuff on here. It just starts a storm...you KNOW that.

This one is done.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to The Lumber Yard