[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - MasBlast-O Ring

MasBlast-O Ring

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

MasBlast-O Ring

Postby masmojo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Last edited by masmojo on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: The start of something BIG

Postby Dodgefarmer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Mas, I'll be watching this build as I've been contemplating doing something similar to my oval. I was thinking 5 lanes @ 2.25" which would leave me with 3 lanes @ 4.5". Just wondering about the wear and tear on tape/braid with the bigger cars drifting across the lanes. Any how best of luck with the project, I'll be tuned in for the next post.

Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fast Co. » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Mojo,

That's an interesting idea having a third lane meandering that allows you to run three 1/43 scale cars. I'd help with a track plan but I've got all kinds of work to do to prepare for a busy race weekend and then I've got to pack and leave for Seattle. I'm looking forward to watching the build and if you're still undecided about a track plan after I return home maybe I can help.

GB Track came onboard in 2001 I believe.

Steve
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:48 pm

14 years sounds about right! but I am thinking closer to 15, because I believe it was JUST after I got married which is 16 years+ ago
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Mas - AWESOME! Looks like a great space!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby masmojo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:11 am

masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:01 pm

You got it bad Masmojo....there are no pills either.

I am in a similar situation that after moving house (bigger) four years ago I have only achieved building two tables and made a faltering start on routing. I have thrown out my first attempt at a three laner and gone for something else. TBA. This will be my fourth routed track. Each one sold as I have moved location.
I have designed and redesigned my current plan over and over and over in that time.

My only tip, after seeing your pictures, would be to place the driver stations on the outside of the L otherwise the drivers can block each others view.

Regards
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby scatman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 pm

Cool, another build. Love that boom box in the background.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks Guys, this is another downside to digital! Before us routed guys did not even have to think about stuff like that, now it's within the realm of feasibility so it has to be taken into consideration!

Not that I am too serious about Digital, but AC2car is a real possibility!

I was going to use casters, but I inadvertently made the bases about 3 or 4" taller then I intended, they are on plastic sliders though!

I was not truly trackless until a few weeks ago when the track at my other house went on the curb! :(
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby masmojo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:41 am

I have NEVER had a problem designing a layout before, but I am wrestling a little bit with this one. Over the weekend, I was watching the Japanese GP and I thought to myself "hey, Mas you are overthinking this"; "It's not the Mona Lisa, it's a quick and dirty routed track, that is only intended to be Temporary in the first place"

Never having had this much space before it's darn difficult not to fill it up!!

Watching the race made me think that something along the lines of Sazuka would be Ideal! I'll get back to designing!
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:26 pm

John how much room do, you have to play with out there.
I was thinking as Mas has said Suzuka can be long and thin, and another one would be the old Paramount ranch design. Both capable of interesting racing, and 2 different era's
Paramount would be in your era if I recall, and for Mas it would work with his table layouts.
Both can be built from sectional plastic or routed and not take a lot of room.
Certainly worth a look.
my first was on 2 sections of 4 x 8, hinged against the wall and could fold up or down with folding legs when in use.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby BRP32 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:22 am

Hey Johnny don't give up on the slot hobby.

Just down size a scale.....

This is my small portable Ho track. It is 36" x 65" long.

A lot of fun in a small package!

Some times you have to take a couple steps backwards to take a step forward.

There is always a solution for every problem.

I hope things work out for you.

Wayne (Bolton's Speed Shop) :D :D

BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:07 am

That is awesome!

Where there is a will there is a way.....

I'm sure things will work out just fine for you!!!!

Wayne :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SilentWolv » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:46 am

SilentWolv

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:15 am

Sounds like you have your hands full Mas. Hey, 3" lane spacing is a great width for 1/32. It is my standard. I have built all of my tracks on 3" spacing except for my one large Big D oval which is 3 7/8". I built it wider so that I could run open wheel cars and 1/24. The AC2car guys run their cars closer than three, to keep their road width reasonable given the multiple slots in each lane. In fact the AC2car website says that closer is better because cars running close to the other can lean on the other car without the impact from the momentum that a sliding car on a wider spacing allows.

As for digital or AC2car, do you have enough racers near by to fill those drivers stations? I have dabbled in both AC and digital. I built a simple AC2car oval 10 years ago and bought a pair of those Artin Digipro tracks at Wally World when the discounted them after Christmas. I still have them and they still work. However, I came to the conclusion that in my area I never will get more than three guys to show up at my house to play with slot cars at any one time so the complexity of multiple cars per lane is unnecessary whether it is digital or AC. Adding in the complication of building an AC track or chipping all of those cars, I have decided that three lane analogue is best for me.

That said, I do have an idea to put out there regarding AC. First, all of the crossovers required for multiple lanes and their resulting dead spots gives me a headache. They are hard to route, a pain to wire and are well........dead! However, I did come up with a solution to all of those crossing slots, what-so-ever . My system is a four car track using two pairs of AC lines that does not require any crossing of multiple slots. Simple lane changers (LCA's) are all that are needed. In that system, you have three lanes but only the center one is a paired lane containing two slots. The right center slot would be connected to a single slot on the right side. The left center slot would be connected to a single slot on the left side. So two cars would operate on the center left half of the track and two cars would operate on the center right side. By default, all four cars would be diverted to the center lane except for in passing zones where lane changers (LCA's) would allow the car to move to the outer lane of the road to pass. The advantage of this system is that it has NO crossovers. All four cars would be required to operate in traffic when in the center lane and would be allowed to pass in passing zones. Passing would be much like most 1:1 raceways which have limited passing zones where overtaking is possible. The disadvantage of this system is that because each pair of cars is limited to either the center right or center left, you have the same right-left centric racing that analogue racing has. But it is much simpler and requires driving four cars in traffic so it is a good compromise I think.

( SilentWolv, AC2car is a system where slot cars are run on opposite sides of a sine wave of AC current. It allows running two cars in each slot. Google AC2car and you will find a web page with complete info.)
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard