[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Little D Refurbish

Little D Refurbish

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Little D Refurbish

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:24 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Little D Refurbish

Postby dreinecke » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:30 pm

Mike - that is looking great, and the battery idea is GENIUS!!! Nice work Sir!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:32 pm

That is a slick idea (the rechargeable battery) - looks like a fun little track to run! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:52 pm

I have thought of the tool batteries for this track before. I figured if they will run my drill motor so long, they would have to be pretty decent running three slot cars. The problem was how to build a plug in receptical for them. It was only when I was given the second charger that the reality became possible.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Mike,

Can you show a bottom view of the track?
My attempt at a lightweight track used 2" foam sandwiched between 5/32" mdf paneling with a 3/8" PVC wall wrapped around the whole shebang. Needless to say, it wasn't very light.

Dave
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 am

Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:05 am

Looks good, great thinking sir.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Florida_Slotter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Drat you Nor Cal Mike!!!!

I just had to wad up the paper I was getting close to finishing. That was going to be the finalized plans for my upcoming project of building a home raceway.

Since I do not have a spare A/C spot to build a track, my wife "graciously" consented to letting me build a "portable track" that MUST be put away at the end of a racing session. I was planning on MDF and using Bob Scott type of construction - which is very similar to that of a commercial raceway.

However your thread has just opened my mind to some new thinking and there is not a box surrounding it.

Thank you.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:21 am

Marty, Do you have a table saw? You can rip all of your 3/4" by wood members in the framework down to 1/2" by, That will lose 33% off the framework weight over what I have in my track. The gutter guard makes good lightweight perimeter fencing that is strong and flexible. I was lucky to find a single sheet of 1/4" MDO. I haven't seen it anywhere since. When I asked my local lumber yard where I got it they couldn't find a listing for it and could only surmize that it had been a cover sheet for a unit of standard size MDO board. You can use any 1/4 plywood. Just make sure that you seal the edges well which is easy since once you cut the slots you will wind up with a series of independent plywood rings that you can paint at will. I even was able to cut a recess which allowed me to install braid. It might be a little tougher to do that with a lower grade board. Not to fret, my track originally used copper tape and it lasted for years stored in the unconditioned climate of my Northern California garage and 50 mph winds while riding on the roof of my SUV down the road.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JT Previa » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:25 pm

I'll add to the chorus: Nice work with the plugin battery idea!

I'm a big fan of lightweight tracks. I built a couple from laminated Gatorfoam. The light redwood frames a good idea, but I suggest hollow core doors are even better: cheap, super light, stiff, multiple sizes available. Will span between supports. Has a 1-3/8" edge to screw a perimeter fence onto. Don't need a saw, or carpentry skills. Link together with door butt hinges that allow folding together as well. Laminate your 1/4" routable surface you are in business pretty quick.

JT
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:54 pm

P.S. I also have a little bit of banking in my track. Not much but just enough to make it look better to my eyes. The banking is established in the framework. as the rings are glued and screwed down.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard