Electron Raceway

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Electron Raceway

Postby OldSlotGuy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:07 am

Electron Raceway is located in Roseburg, Oregon in a finished/heated shop area of about 1,000 square feet within a 2,400 square foot metal sided “pole barn”. My experience with designing and building tracks spans several decades and nearly a half dozen tracks. Techniques improved over time with Electron Raceway being my best effort. The four lane track footprint is approximately 24x18 feet. It was designed as a “driver’s” course with relatively tight turns, modest straightaway length, and a single banked turn. Lane spacing is 4.5 inches. In addition, the design allows for a minimum number of marshals, (images of the track are shown below). Fellow “slot heads” gather a few times per month to race what I would call “True Scale” cars (more on this later). Only a few times per month would never do for our local passion. STR, another track in the area, hosts weekly races for plastic model bodied cars.
We have a group site https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Ele ... ceway/info that allows for posting of messages, photos, files and much more. The site includes activities at Electron Raceway and STR. Non-members can view the messages and attachments but nothing else (Yahoo’s rules, not mine). To become a member simply sign up for a Yahoo email address and then join the group.
A few years ago, I became enthusiastic about running plastic model bodied slot cars with scale wheels. After experimenting with variations of TSRF, ProTrack, modified 4.5 inch stamped steel chassis, I tried a formula that seemed to be working in the Portland, Oregon area. A cadre of racers had developed a class of cars using the Scholer production chassis, scale wheels, a Falcon 7 motor and Group C bodies (an image of my 962C is shown below). Others in Roseburg got the “bug” and several cars were built. In addition to an awesome scale appearance, we found these cars handled quite well. This class, dubbed True Scale GT1 (or simply GT1), has become a mainstay at Electron Raceway. Since then, other “True Scale” Scholer based classes have been added and/or are in various stages of development. Falcon 7 power is simply too much for narrower and shorter wheelbase models so for these classes we allow only Deathstar power. Other classes included are listed below. I’ll post images of some of these rides and more images of GT1 cars in other threads.
• TA2 (a modern version of Trans Am)
• Historic Trans Am
• Can Am
• Cobra/Corvette Challenge

My 962C with Scholer Chassis and BRM body.
OldSlotGuy

Re: Electron Raceway

Postby turbokev » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:49 am

Welcome to HRW!!

Your setup looks amazing.. Professional looking track, great race space, and your 962 is awesome..

Too bad you are on the other coast or I'd be swinging by for some drving :)
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby OldSlotGuy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks for your kind words. As I mentioned, I will be posting images of scale cars and classes that we run. It has just been in the last few years that we have developed great running scale wheeled cars. At STR we still run many hard body classes with non-scale wheels and plastic or resin bodies. Many members already have the non-scale wheeled cars so they will continue to be a part of STR's race program. Electron events will include only scale wheeled cars. So, if you do join the Yahoo group or look at some of the attachments you may see a mix of both types of cars.
OldSlotGuy

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Holy cow is that a Man Cave!!! Nice layout and place for sure!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby woodman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Excellent track layout, looks like a blast to run on...
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard