[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Timing sensors for MDF... LINK!

Timing sensors for MDF... LINK!

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Timing sensors for MDF... LINK!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:22 am

Is this what I want to have to use the Race Coordinator software ?
What is the brown/tan cable for in the pic that has nothing attached to it and is this a fair price ?
Does it mount through the bottom of track ? I don't THINK it requires a light bridge.
As always......THANKS !!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-LANE-SLOT-CAR ... 2c81de7c7e
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Timing sensors for MDF... LINK!

Postby chappy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Bob this looks like it needs additional parts such as a relay, a light bridge, and IBM compatible printer port on you pc. Etc.and likely a power supply for the light bridge.
I would take a pass on it, and look for a complete system. It may cost a bit more in the start, but I just get the feeling you would save on the extras and frustrations.
But thats just my opinion.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby bobbyraz49 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Chappy !!!
On their description it stated..This Sensors cable does require a bright light source / light bridge.
I'm LOST !!!
LOL
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:29 pm

http://www.trackmateracing.com/shop/en/ ... or-windows

Bob there are a lot of different systems for, timing out there, and you will get a lot of decent advice from those that have them.
Some like the Light bridge, some the dead strip and others that use infrared in the slot itself.
I suppose they all have their pros and cons.
Im not familiar with the software you are using but someone else here might be.
My personal is the dead strip, I have it on both my big track, and my test track and they havent let me down yet. Themlink, at the top is o emsite that makes pretty good stuff in different formats, dead strip, light bridge, reed switches, and ifrared slot sensors.
Just an example of whats availabe.
Cheers
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 am

Bobbyrazz,
It is true that the sum of the parts in that harness don't add up to the $75 asking price but you have to consider the knowledge in making it, the gathering of parts and the time spent in assembling it, marketing it, and shipping it. When you add all of that, the price seems reasonable.

It sounds like you do not understand how a photo sensor timing system works so here is a primer. Each sensor is in effect a simple on-off switch operated by light or the lack of it. When a car passes over a sensor, it blocks the light causing the switch to react. The harness feeds that reaction to the proper place in the timing software and a count is recorded. Ambiant light in the room isn't enough so you will have to assemble a light source directly over the sensors. That is where the light bridge comes in. The light bridge is simply anything spanning the track over the photo sensors to provide a direct and reliable source of light. Usually that is done by four low voltage (12v.ish) projection type bulbs mounted directly over each sensor. They can be found in a number of places including your neighborhood lighting store.

Mike
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:47 pm

I can tell you from experience that you dont want a VIASUE product. we bought the 4 lane system for an HO track,and the sensors need more light than than you can provide with anything short of a solar flare!. no product support,to high of a price,and in my opinion,substandard product. I dont usually carry on about things like this,i just mark it up as a life lesson. But dont waste your money.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:19 pm

bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:21 pm

bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:05 pm

I am probably not the best one to make recommendations since I don't even own a photo cell timing system. I have a dead strip with a store bought Trackmate system on my track. A couple of years ago I did build a home made system using triggers on one side of the power rail. I did it with with much tutalage from Rich D. Woolsey Hornet made one too at the same time. It was essentially the same harness but with a direct contact trigger made by one of the car's braids striking across two contacts wired to the harness. rather than have a light trigger. I can say that the light bridge is superior.

I suggest that you check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2661
It shows what you need to know. He even used simple christmas tree lights with paper cups to focus the light in his light bridge. I would suggest something a little more finer but it will give you an idea of what to look for. There is a lot of small light fixtures to be found in the lighting section of your neighborhood Lowes or Home Depot. Many mount on a track or clamp to a bar in any position needed.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard