[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Paint for MDF 1/32 track

Paint for MDF 1/32 track

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Paint for MDF 1/32 track

Postby bobbyraz49 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:14 pm

Best paint for a MDF track is.......???

I used Behr Interior satin enamel. Even with different tires from a good guy in California, it still seems too slippery.

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

Thanks from Bob in Buffalo.
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Paint for MDF 1/32 track

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:21 pm

I used a product called Dulux Suede effect
I really like the grip with a range of tyres - except silicones - if using silicones I find high gloss is the best

I am sure there would be an equivalent in the US

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:57 pm

I go with latex flat wall paint. Works for me.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:42 am

Bob,How long have you been racing on your surface? Long enough to lay down some rubber? Assuming that you are using stock or urethane tires, it takes a little while to season a newly painted track. Good traction will come over time.

My oval is painted with Rustoleum chalk board paint. It is about four years old, has had a gadzillion laps on it and it works well. My road track was painted with VERY thinned down (think stain) Rustoleum oil base enamel. It works very well with almost any tire even many stock ones. But that track is also built with particle board so the surface is more grainy.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:02 am

Dulux Suede Effects for me too.

But most paints require some 'rubbering in' to be at their best.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby bobbyraz49 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:05 am

Is it best to brush or roll the paint onto the MDF ?
I used a roller. I may buy some sample cans of paint and try to enhance the track.
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:18 am

If you want a surface like you had back in the day, then go with high gloss. If you are wanting to start using glue and foams maybe an oil based. Lowe's has it in gray too, I use it on my basement floor.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby gascarnut » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:24 am

The best paint bar none is called UMA. It is available only in white, so need to be tinted to get a grey color. It is rather more expensive than a regular latex, but it is worth it. Two coats with a foam roller.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:49 am

Yep. All true.

Here's a translation about the UMA stuff... UMA is one of the advanced primers that have come out. Insl-x Stix or XIM UMA are the brand names for Duval and Benjamin Moore's versions of it. It is intended for hard to prime areas that have oil stains or other difficult areas to get paint to stick to. The gimmic with this stuff is that it is acrylic like the other water clean up paints, but is bonded to urethane, making the dry surface like a magnet for finish coat paints. This stuff will stick to anything, and any paint will stick to it, see? By the way, don't waste your time on Behr Gripper from Home Depot. It isn't worth bothering with for our purposes, although its an okay primer.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby urbanwarrior » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Recently finished my first routed track. I used 2 coats of the Rustoleum magnetic primer and then 2 coats of Valspar Vessel Grey as recommended by a member of this board. Myself and the kids have put about a thousand laps on it in a little over a week and its rubbering in quite nicely. It seems to favor Scaleauto foams and NSR rubber, in that order. PG urethanes do fairly well but not as well as the others. I have decided not to use silicones on this track mainly because my club doesn't run them but I personally don't really care for them. I like a rubbered and dirty track and silicones like it clean and smooth.
urbanwarrior
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:26 pm

woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:50 am

If you are running on wood, why pull the magnet? I leave them in for the weight. What can it hurt?
A little weight in the right place and it works just like a magnet, sort of.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard