[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Question for the track builders

Question for the track builders

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Question for the track builders

Postby Bluegnuoy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Hello I have never built anything out of wood. How much does temperature and humidity affect the finished product, in this case a 6 x12 foot oval? My garage isn’t climate controlled. Thanks in advance =)
Bluegnuoy

Re: Question for the track builders

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:45 pm

As long as the top and bottom of the MDF Is painted, you should have no issues.

We have a 65 foot MDF track here in Florida. There is no A/C at the location. We have very little issues and each time we up our repair skills, we have very few repeats.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Where are you located? Moisture will mean you definitely have to paint both sides. However, I would highly recommend braid and not tape in that case. It may lift with wild temperature fluctuation.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Bluegnuoy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:06 am

I'm in northern indiana. Plastic tracks get really hit by the cold and heat. I have had Tomy HO and a Ninco track they didn't do well in the garage but were fine in the basement. I am moving and the only room will be the garage.
Bluegnuoy

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:55 am

Not sure what SCC will say but I have the same experience in MN. I used copper tape and after being stored for a winter in the garage I do have minor tape lifting in a couple of the corners. Contact cement would seem the best option but that's my opinion only.
OJ's advice to paint both sides is correct. I would also suggest that you use connectors to make the connections between sections. I got mine at Radio Shack and they are cheap insurance for a good connection across sections.
Make sure you have a robust alignment system at the joints as they will move with the weather changes (presuming that you will leave the track up all year). I have seen stacks of 1x3 lumber that look pretty strong......
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:13 am

I envy your garage and the track. Now off to confession.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:53 am

Yeah, but what a few months!

. . . and you have got a couple of others to fall back on. :lol:

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VenturaAlfa » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:11 am

Bibster,
I envy what looks like a 66 mustang behind the track. Very nice. That was one of my high school cars and a lot of fun. Nice track too.

Ventura Alfa
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:32 pm

I second what Bibbster says about the tape.I've had tracks out in our slot shed off and on for years.They seem to do well after the 1st couple months.The room is only temp controlled when we are out there..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Humidity is the killer..here in Mo. it gets so bad if I don't run the AC in my shop the unfinished Mdf or Partical board even plywood will collect green mold, the concrete floor will turn damp....It can be really bad some summers....I'm running a fan across the floor right now, but may have to turn the Ac on for the first time this year.. I can't have these cabinet doors etc. start cupping....Again humidity is an enemy to raw wood...
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Bluegnuoy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks for all the input. Once I start I will post the build but no laughing ok?
Bluegnuoy

Postby ddyke » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:47 am

I run a dehumidifier in addition to an air filtration unit and AC, but I also work in this area. The dehumidifier is emptied twice a day. I use it to water vegetables.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:59 pm

bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Most people here know that I run charity races. I run then in schools, churches, libraries, cow pastures, car ports, etc...
My track was built by Rocky at Stingray Racing in Virginia. It is 4'x16' routed MDF with copper tape.
The track surface is Latex wall paint. There is nothing on the underside. Any of you who are familiar with Maryland know that the humidity here is H E double hockey sticks.
I only had one problem early on when I did a race about 50' from the Chesapeake Bay. I had to rewire the terminal, It corroded. I did repaint the track and retape it due to an accident when the corner was crushed by a car following too close.
If you are in the area stop by and lets sweat with the OLD Artins.
Frank
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:49 am

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Return to The Lumber Yard