[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Modular track ,has begun

Modular track ,has begun

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Modular track ,has begun

Postby woodman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:04 am

Getting antsy to route some modular pieces, have been for a few years now! Originally I had these drawn up in 4 lane....But like the SS their's no space for lane barriers....

I'm switching to 3 lane with pieces 3' wide and 7' long.....I got to thinking crossover that could work and came up with this...I'll be using 1/2'' particle board and the idea of trying to raise the bridge 3 1/2'' and still plane out flat at each end seemed tuff without a lot of framework....I was going to keep the framing to 1 1/2 ''....Then I thought why not let the lower track drop an inch and a half and that would take some pressure off the bridge and at the same time and a new dimension too....
Full scale gives an idea...

And was thinking use the flexible strip on the center lane, then route on each side for the 2 other lanes , then insert 1/8'' strip in one of the lane slots as a router guide to route the center lane getting rid of the nail holes left from the flexible strip... Then route the outside edges, making a 5'' space from the outside edges into the first slots with 4'' lane spacing total track width 18'' with a 36'' module width...
Last edited by woodman on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Modular track

Postby HRWJim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Coll idea keep us posted on the progress. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 am

Got the Grandsons track all wired up and working, waiting for PG tires for the little cars you gave me Jim....
All I need now is for the home builder I do cabinets for to "slow down" to free up my assembly table....Man, I get tired of building "BOXES" with doors and drawers....Kayaks were fun, but after about 15 I got kind of burnt out....Now back into slot racing this year... These track sections are like routed sculpture....

Can you imagine modular track sections with elevations.....I have toyed with the idea of using 1/4'' mdf just cut out the road course "outside width" then add 3/4'' plywood strips on the underside before routing the slots..That track would really bend.....
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:52 am

Looks like a great project.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby woodman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:23 am

Nice to have access to free 4x8 cardboard from my lumber supplier...Any way the sections will be 3' X 7' for ease of handling and weight etc....
A couple of pieces....The dotted line represents a routed slot for a barrier insert to prevent head on collisions....

If you go to the slotfire website notice there isn't room for barriers on their sections. Cars can come out into oncoming traffic
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Modular track ,has begun

Postby woodman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Routed some of the first pieces yesterday and today.....All are 3' X 7' sections
The squeezes have 2 1/2'' spacing....

I will also make the reverse of this one....

This section is designed to inter on the right, the outer lane veers within 3'' of the outer wall before entering the turn, allowing me to give the inside lane a 12'' dia. turn...

And here is a full size sketch of another section...I forgot to sketch where the barrier divides the 2 sets of turns...
To keep with the 3X7 size the inside turns end up with flat spots at the top of the turns,which I don't care to much for, what do you guys think?
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:29 am

The slots line up....
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:42 am

Looking good to me. You could smooth out those corners, but might be a tighter radius than you would like?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby woodman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 pm

OK the way I'm going to meet up the connecting joints....
Left over 3/4 Maple I ripped to 1 1/2'' then dado a 1/4 X 3/4 slot in all the pieces....What I'm doing is dividing each panel end in 2 parts , a male on the left and female on the right ...I will do the same with the track braid plugs...
I used a sanding block to notch braid recesses in the end of the track surface...
Then I notched out a space for the brade to tuck in....
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:11 am

Talking to the owner of Raytown Int. Raceway (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raytown- ... 5639854873)
Yesterday he was very positive about setting this track up in their, has plenty of room...He can get braid at his cost and advised against the 2 sided tape as to track cleaning solvents could cause a problem because invariably glue will end up on the track surface being inside the store...So looks like I'l be using contact cement like the old days...

woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:33 pm

woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:57 pm

Routed 2 more sections...now have 5 with a straight section left to do...Then on to adding the buildup to the bottom side.....Image
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Put in a full day, routed the last section and and added all the supports to the underside of all the sections...This thing is huge just grows and grows and with 6 sections their are at least 20 different layouts and more if you omit sections....
Here is the jig I use to start each section...I register off the center lane with a flex strip...And by the way the 5'' spacing of my nails is to far apart My next one will be 4'' spacing.....

What you see here is 6' X 17'
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:42 am

Thanks for the kind words John..If you could see up close the little mistakes stand out.....
Just came across this Austraila Modular track builder, Wow....http://www.mrtrax.com/index.html

A Quote from a guy who races on these tracks:the flat pack tracks site has only gone onto shop website this week.The method of joining the tracks is a work of art a male and female aluminium coupling is bolted to each track piece and just requires an allen key to undo it.The flat pack tracks are four lanes and each module already comes painted and braided and connected by magnets.
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Routed slots into the edges that will take 1/4'' splines to align modules that but up side to side...

The sixth and final piece is the straight ,well half is almost straight, I like SS....
Last edited by woodman on Sat May 24, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard