Riff Raff Raceway

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Riff Raff Raceway

Postby HutchTrickStar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:25 am

I present Riff Raff Raceway.

Routing and filling done.

We didn't wait for any barrier construction before running cars. Yes, some hit the floor but nothing broke.

My long time friend Mike and I built this in his basement.(Thanks Mike!) There was a well used and very well loved pool table where the track now stands. Our pool league team was Riff Raff. I think the name fits the track as well.

It's been alot of fun building it and running cars has been a blast. The first time we ran a car, I was amazed at the smoothness of running on wood. The traction is steadily improving on the flat latex surface. Running the cars at 8 volts was very tricky at first but now we need to push it to 12 volts to get the same trickiness.

Many of the construction methods were picked up from this site. I graciously thank anybody who has shared their tips and tricks. More time was spent debating and planning than the actual work. We didn't want to get too complex. This track will be moved next year. We kept it pretty basic with two 4x8 sheets of 1/2" MDF and added about 6" of aprons. It banked well enough shoving various scraps and shims underneath.

The barriers are more complete now and we have been able to really push the cars without fear of plummits to the concrete. The wrecks are so realistic at times. There is scenery and a timing system in the works as well as a tire scuff/cleaning station. There is a strong need for a beverage shelf first. We're currently using Parma economy 25 ohm controllers but might try a switch to a higher resistance. I will update with more photos as we progress further.

What do you think?
Last edited by HutchTrickStar on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HutchTrickStar

Re: Riff Raff Raceway

Postby HutchTrickStar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:31 am

Pics fixed! Thanks for the help.
HutchTrickStar

Postby dreinecke » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 am

A really nice track with great flow! Any plans for scenery?

Looks like someone has the Pioneer Charger bug, bad!

Nice 6 strings on the wall too!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby ourwayband » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Nice smooth looking track.I bet she is fun to run!!

Also like the axes on the wall! :music-guitarred:

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:43 am

Nice Track !
I can see you running 3 wide for quite a few laps...that's fun stuff.

"We didn't wait for any barrier construction before running cars. Yes, some hit the floor but nothing broke."
:lol:
All but a very few of us have said these exact words !
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard