[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slot peeling up

Slot peeling up

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Slot peeling up

Postby Lotus56 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:00 pm

OK for lack of a better way of describing it, I guess it is delaminating on the outer wall of the slot in a turn. I think it might be caused when a car spins out and the guide goes full lock. Most of the time the car flips, crashes out of the track, pretty violent crash. These are Sprints plus, H&R, homemade. Heavy fast cars. Same cars I used on my last oval that had a Gazillion laps on it and never did I see this happen. Any of you ever experience this.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p22/ ... /slot2.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p22/ ... /slot1.jpg
Lotus56

Re: Slot peeling up

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:32 pm

I hadh a little of it. I started to check my guide blades and lightly sand the blades at the edges to reduce the "sharp" edge.

But It might also be the slot needs sanding to do the same thing. After routing did you sand the slots lightly to round off/smooth the edge?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:32 pm

I recommend a plastic spreader like you use with Bondo, wrapped in a 1/4 sheet of #220 garnet sandpaper. Makes fast work and smooth as velvet.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Lotus56 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks guys, No didn't sand the slots. I have a Bondo spreader, dug it out last night at 12:30 and sanded the inside lane. Will see if that makes a difference.
Checked the guides, all seem to be naturally rounded off from use.
Hard to believe that my first oval never did this, never sanded slots, same router, same bit, even reused a lot of the braid. beginners luck I guess. Or the only difference is that the first track I used oil based Rustoleum paint. Might be a harder paint? I wonder if that might be the difference. I used latex this time.
Did your tracks stop doing this after you sanded them.
Lotus56

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 pm

I didn't know they still made the good stuff- oil paint. But yes, it is substantially harder, especially the enamels.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Yes, mine stopped. 8 years running.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:12 pm

I like to paint my slots with oil base enamel. I use two coats. I use Rustoleum or the Ace Hardware equivalent. The first coat is thinned way down with mineral spirits to get deep penetration and the second coat as it comes from the can to finish it off. I started using particle board rather than MDF because I like the granular surface better. It gives great traction with many stock tires. PB is softer along the edges than MDF but the oil base paint hardens it up pretty good. I haven't had any wear issues. Great to hear about your recycling the braid because I am thinking of rerouting my track by scribing the old ribbons onto new wood and keeping the same scenery. I would rather not spend another $200 bucks for braid if I don't have to.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27 pm

After routing I go around the slot with a round file and take the sharpness of the top edge of the slot then go over it with a folded up piece of sand paper down in the slot, just kind of round that sharp edge over, prevents the sharp edge from breaking off if its partical board...If its mdf it will kind of mush up then later break off...
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Just out of curiosity, did you use MDF or MDF2? The reason I ask is our first retail store track was made of MDF2 - we had a LOT of chipping in the corners. Our current track is made from MDF - not nearly as much chipping.
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Which one is the "lightweight" MDF?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Lotus56 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Last edited by Lotus56 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus56

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Well, that makes for another mystery to be figured out. It doesn't mention "tempered" on that label at all. Maybe tempering is assumed these days with MDF. It doesn't really address this topic, but if "times have changed", as they say, we should all be aware.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to The Lumber Yard