Ozark Mtn. Raceway updated 11/19 more pics

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Ozark Mtn. Raceway updated 11/19 more pics

Postby HRWJim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:12 pm

I promised Harry I would snap a few pictures of the progress so far. I added trees and a few signs to the back of the track and started the center area where I am still planning a small pit area( not sure if I can pull off what I want to accomplish yet). The center will have a small bluff area with grass and maybe a few trees but I want to keep them at a minimum for ease of reaching de-slots. The trees are recycled from my old Artin road course with just a little clean up and refresh. I did make a couple new ones. ( the Aspen looking ones) Jim

Here's a little update on the track. 1st is a little mound heading up the hill and the second is the new guardrail at the hairpin. Picture quality not the best but you get the idea thanks for looking. Jim

Last edited by HRWJim on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Ozark Mtn. Raceway update

Postby SJSlots » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Looking great Jim!!
SJSlots

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Heck yeah it does!!

And your cable/post fence looks a lot better than mine!

I need to race on this soon :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ourwayband » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:26 pm

She is looking great!!!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Jim,

Wow-wee! That looks outstanding!!! Really like the way it is all coming together!

How did you do your signage? I'm always looking for other ideas.

Did you ever look at my pits for ideas? Stupidly simple to do and would look period correct on your track.

Awesome work, buddy!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HRWJim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it. Thanks Rusty and Harry the track is dirty but I will clean it up and we'll race soon.
David the signage IS REALLY stupidly simple. Card stock printed logo from a web (there a guys who has guardrail border signage) Then just cut them out and glue stir sticks and brown painted tooth picks to the back. Then just drill holes and glued in. I really wish I would have taken the plunge and painted the back wall, like you did, but I was am still nervous about messing it up. Your pits are exactly what I am looking for but don't know if I can pull it off. The only difference is I am thinking dirt not asphalt. After all this is low budget compared to PDR. LOL Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:32 pm

You know, Walthers has some great pre-made backdrops with the "sky" effect.

Check that Hobbytown down the street. I bet you could make an easy backdrop that you could just pin up.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Jim,

If you can do those signs and that fence, you can do the wall paint! Seriously. I'm all about stupid simple stuff. Go back and look at my website and see how I just drew it out. If you can handle a mini-roller, you can do it in an afternoon.

My pits are simply two poles glued to a rectangular frame with a roof. I think I spent 5 minutes cutting and making each and a minute spray painting them.

Thanks for the info on the signs!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HRWJim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks David I'll take a look at it. You make it sound so simple. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Jim, the track is looking great! The back drop I did on mine was all just free handed with some paint and a brush if you guys want to talk about stupid simple.. :lol:
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks guys, considering the work you guys do, it means a lot that you approve. I have the plaster cloth down on almost every area but the two really easy ones to get to after I push it back against the wall. Still waffling on background, I may just go with a simple sky blue. Going to have to mull this one over. I have some photos from vintage races that I have framed and use on the back wall, so not sure how high I will want to go. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JESIV » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 am

Lookin' good Sir!
I love the fencing, what did you make that out of?
I see lot's of bear wall, if only you knew a guy....OH WAIT! LOL.

Keep up the good work and keep posting picks. I look forward to doing some racing on it one of these days.
JESIV
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:30 am

I made more progress today, I made a small hill waiting for grass to be planted and I made a short guardrail on the the big turn at the end of the straight. After grass is planted, I'll take a couple more picks.
Thanks James, I would be honored if you came and raced on it. The white fence is made from coffee stir sticks, painted with craft paint and weathered with India ink. The shorter cable fence is dowel rod painted and picture hanging wire for the cable. I am thinking of doing another curve with the white fence but it is time consuming. Shoot me an e-mail and we will complete our deal by the end of the month. It's only been since March after all. LOL
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:33 am

Jim - can't wait to see the updates!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: Ozark Mtn. Raceway updated 11/19 more pics

Postby HRWJim » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Did some work today on the rock wall behind the pits. Trying to make it look like the sandstone out croppings in the area. Have yet to paint as I am still waiting for it to harden. Will work on it more over the coming week and post pics after I paint it. JIM

HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard