[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - All American Raceway...Update 7/21

All American Raceway...Update 7/21

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: New track started

Postby ListerStormGT » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Today I was able to get the track cut out and Thanks to harry for sending me a piece of taped braid I got the gains routed out also. Again thanks to Harry for letting me borrow his bit, that router bit is best thing since sliced bread! After that I was able to get my elevations all set and although it doesn't show, one of the corners turned out to be a nice corkscrew type corner. I got all the screw holes filled in and sanded too. I have to work all weekend but I hope to get the paint done Mon-Tues.

ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:07 am

Looks great, Lee! Really nice work there!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:56 am

Yes indeed, looks good and you are quiet welcome.

David, what a tasteless photo. hehe get it?

Thank you, thank you...I'll be here all week. Try the veal, it's fantastic.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Got the track painted tonight and going to do the asphalt look again. I will do a step by step with pics as I am doing it tomorrow and post it so if anyone is interested how to do it.

This is the paint I always use on my tracks, but it works as a great base for look I am going for since its a flat paint.

ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Looking good, very nice!

I want to see this come to life...so get busy :)

Remember the huge salary you get from being a HRW contributing editor.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ListerStormGT » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Ok I got the surface weathering done today as planned. I think it may have come out a little darker than last time but I am happy with how it looks. All I have left to do is the braid and wire it up and I am ready to run some laps. I thought about painting the slots different colors but I think I like it better just as it is.

Here is what the surface looks like up close with some cars on it.

So here is how I do the weathering after the track is painted in flat grey. I think the flat grey paint as a base is what makes this work the best.

First you need to get a couple cheap spray bottles, I got these at WalMart in beaty section where they have the travel sized stuff.

Then I got the Apple Barrel Acrylic paints in white and black. The cotton terry towels I picked up in the automotive section.

Mix the black and white paints with water to the consistency of milk in each of the spray bottles. Adjust the sprayer nozzle to the finest mist you can get out of it.
It doesn't have to be perfect because you will be blotting the spray with the towel anyway.
I start with the black paint first and spray a small section at a time, then I just use the towel and blot the sprayed area. I may do this a couple times to get the darkness I want.
I also sometimes will spray a small section of black and then white on top of it and just blot it altogether. I use the same towel for both colors as it all works in together anyway.

Here is the finished result.

If something seems to dark or too light you can use the white or black to lighten/darken it up, just spray some over these areas and blot it with the towel. Something else I do that works well for spot touch ups is to spray the color directly on the towel then blot the color on that way. Basically what the black and white paint is doing is its just staining the flat grey base so even though it looks like it has a raised texture, there is no raised texture at all. I think it gives a good effect of making it look like asphalt and its a cheap easy way of doing it.
If you have any questions about this feel free to ask me as I would be glad to help.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:44 am

Nice, looks good. The shade seems pretty good to me.

Good tutorial too, thanks sir. It's a keeper.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HRWJim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Looks great man, I like the look being a bit darker. Keep the progress picks coming. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Looks good, but...did you forget to route the pit area?
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby ListerStormGT » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:47 am

ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Having a 3 day weekend I thought I would try to start on a pit area for the track. So fumbling around with tape and paint the last 2 days this is what I have got done so far. Still have a lot left to do but its a start. The green stripes are tape that I I am using for a line to mask from. The pit walls still need trimmed and painted but still getting ideas. Also got one corner of rumble strips painted and like on the last track, the cars will drive over them on the inside lane.

ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby baford1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Lee your track is really starting to take shape like the pit area so far & the rumble strips look good to , are you going to build a pit building ?

Richard
baford1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Wow Lee
Thats nice
:banana-rock: :banana-rock:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 am

Oh yeah, looks great to me.

Every time I see those Camaros, I want to stop working and race :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks guys, glad you like it! :)
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard