[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Work begins (more updates-WIRING!)

Work begins (more updates-WIRING!)

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Work begins (more updates-WIRING!)

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: Work begins

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Unfortunately, I had the same feeling. This is a big one. I discovered today that I can't work as hard as I used to, and I got about half as much done as planned for the day. Getting old. But I'm enjoying it so far. We'll see. I'm planning a swamp with 500 year old cypress and Spanish moss as a tribute to where I grew up. I can even make a model pirogue like the one I poled to school until the county built the bridge. That's real, by the way, all you city dwelling sparkling urbanites!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Hey, it is a nice thing to restore a track that you have history with.

You will enjoy it and be happier when progress starts :)

Get a good burger or something, that always helps the energy.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby litng1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 am

Cool

litng1 from Bardstown ky.
litng1

Postby MoparGreg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:51 pm

MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 pm

That was Larry, and yes that is his track (mine now) when it was almost new. Since I've had it, I rewired some of it, installed circuit breakers (he had fuses), re-routed part of it, run it in the opposite direction, added to the scenery, and retaped it as well as painting it with a mix of steel dust and black paint that was then lightly sanded to keep it from being abrasive to paint jobs on rolling cars. That's why it looks so much like asphalt paving. I'm not wrecking it, I'm just covering it up. I'm specifically arranging the bracing and forms so there is no appreciable damage. I'm even keeping the driver's stations, although they are unscrewed from the track and stored underneath, still wired up, though. The great thing is that the huge sweeper turn in my old track is on the new track, too. Larry is still around. He doesn't come to see us much anymore on the new site, but he's still running the best track I ever saw in his basement right where this one came from. That's Hellenbach Raceway, or something very close to that.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:08 pm

No updates, I'm afraid. I discovered that in order to reach all parts of the track there are a lot of things around the track that have to have a new home. So, I have spent the last two days without touching the track at all, building a huge cabinet to store paints and varnishes and 5 gallon cans of lacquer, etc, and new shelving for spray cans, stains, color agents, and tons of other stuff. When that's all finished and loaded up, I can finally get to framing the platform for the track. I did figure out a great dust cover... if I ever get there!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby SpeedyNH » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:07 pm

getting organized is a good thing. sometimes i'm forced into it myself.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BEEK511 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm

I hate to see that track go i love the layout . that being said i cant wait to see what you do with it .
BEEK511

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Well, it isn't gone really. Someday, when someone needs a track, the old 3 Lane Blacktop will still be there, and with a few friends, it should be fairly easy to lift this track off and walk it over to supports in order to get the old track out. Then a simple trestle table with L-girders will replace the old track to hold up the new track. What makes it work is that the new track is 8x16, and the base for it is flat, even though there is an elevated section at one end.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:43 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby MoparGreg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Looking good Rob, Im watching this one. Im sure you have probably thought this through & have it sorted but make sure you have enough support on the underside of the old track to support the weight of the new one.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:57 pm

No problem. This was Larry's first track, and like me, he tends to overbuild just to be safe.

My kids always give me grief because I learned woodworking and carpentry by being a helper building shrimp boats. No matter what I build, the boys tell me I've built another boat. The significance is, when you build a boat and fail, you can't pull over to the side of the road to fix it. You sink.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Mr56p » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:03 am

I do still get to make it here, every now and again... :D Life just gets in the way of the fun these days!
Awesome to see my ole Blue Ridge Raceway track again... and looking forward to seeing what the re-build looks like.
Since it's Rob doing it, I'm sure it will be well done!
Mr56p

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:07 am

Great to hear from you again, Larry!

I see the Hellanbach Speedway on your signature no longer is a link to the great shots of your wonderful current track. Is there are website for it other than what was on the old HRW?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard