American Graffiti 1962 - Update 09/17 WIP Mel's Diner

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: American Graffiti Track - 1962 - Update 10/23 Up & Runni

Postby masmojo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:50 pm

slothead wrote:If you are still looking for a way to make fencing or borders that will be sturdy but not break off when leaned on, consider attaching them to a base and then hold the base in place with magnets. You can embed strong rare earth button magnets in the track surface and then glue metal washers to the base. The magnets will be strong enough to hold the fence or barrier in place, and still give way before enough force is applied to break the fence. I have a non-magnet wood track and now have some cars with magnets as body mounts that don't come loose on their own but are easy to pull apart when needed without a screw driver. And if the body mount floats a little you can still create a tuned effect for handling.

Slothead

Great suggestion and one I might use! ;) I had thought about using magnets to hold drivers in, but then I thought it probably would not help much (if any) with them being damaged and might actually make it worse! :idea:
Image Blast O Racing By Masmojo
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:32 pm

I heard from Greg back in August. He's been buried doing major house renovations and drainage on his property.

Sadly, part of the reno includes dividing the room the track was in. So, it is currently apart and in storage until he can do something else.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Fast Co. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:35 am

Wow! How did I miss this thread? Too bad it's put on hold for a while. I'm bookmarking this Greg. Can't wait to see it develop further…
Steve
Woodland Trace Raceway (aka Laguna Trace Raceway)
Winston-Salem, NC
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:02 am

I can't believe my last post to this thread was back in 2013, thats sad. I had to pull the track apart when I was renovating our house for the last year. It is stored in pieces in my shed out the back. Most of the house renovations are finished and I'm ready to put the track back together. Only this time I will have s dedicated room which will house the track and a work bench and all my car model kits etc.

The room is small but it's going to work and everything in there will be custom made to suit my requirements. I'm just finishing up all the shelving and will start building s desk next week end. So once that's complete I'll start on the track. The downside is the track is about 8 inches to long. So I'll need to modify it slightly. Ill also have to narrow the widest part in the middle slightly as well. I'm hoping I won't have to do a full reroute, I'm hoping it will be pretty easy.

The track will also be turned into a fold down track to save space when not in use. Hopefully it won't be to challenging for a scenic track. I'll rebuild the cabinetry for the track to sit on to suit the fold down track. I'll be reusing all the doors I made from the original. It sound like a lot of work but I think it will be pretty easy.

I'll post some photos soon once I start on the track side of things.
Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:40 am

Well, I will be looking forward to your progress once you get back at it. Sounds like you have been busy the past year or so! It will be nice to have a dedicated area for your hobby though!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 am

Welcome back Greg. You have been missed. I look forward to seeing your progress as it goes along.
Mike
Beautiful Mendocino County, CA
http://www.mendorailhistory.org/
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:02 am

I rebuilt the cabinet for the track to sit on. The track will fold down from the top of this cabinet. I need to attach the doors properly and give it a paint yet. I'm happy with how they turned out but I may lower it down as I'm not liking the height. See my track height thread.

Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: American Graffiti 1962 - Update 08/03 The Rebuild

Postby ShotgunDave » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:44 pm

Glad to see you back at it Greg. I've really missed the updates on the track. Can't wait to see how it all comes back together.
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby MoparGreg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:51 am

Thanks Dave, I missed it to! It's been a long time coming. It will be a coupe of weeks before I pull the track out of the shed as I want to get the rest of the room sorted out first. I'll keep adding progress photos as I go.
Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:15 am

Hi everyone, finally a great update to share on my American Graffiti track. A quick back story, A few years ago I started some major renovations on my home. The track used to be in a large family room in my house. When the renovations started I pulled the track totally apart and stored everything in my shed out the back. We put extra walls up and ripped some down in the house changing the configuration totally. Half of the room where the track was is now our 4th bedroom and the largest bedroom in the house. When the renovations were completed we were left with the smallest room in the house. This room needed to house my wife's home office for work, her scrapbooking and area to create, my American Graffiti track, work area to work on cars and scenery items as well as store loads of model kits. Here's the kicker, the room size is 3000mm X 2650mm or 10foot x 9foot. Initially I thought 'yeah room is to small, can't be done' and I gave up.

I really didn't want to have my track out the back in the garage as I'll be doing a lot of work on scenery. I really wanted the track inside the house. After a few months of staring at an empty room on what to do I started measuring and sketching different ways to make it fit. After another few months I came up with a way to make it work. I needed to use the walls to create extra space.

5 months or so more of building and painting here it is, slowly getting there. Everything in the room is custom made by myself to fit this room. Here's the track -

Here's the old layout

Here it is now. The track now swings off the wall. The cupboard was rebuilt to fit the room. Original doors reused

To fold it down you swing the legs out

Hidden locks in behind the legs to hold it upright against the wall so it won't fall down

Here's the track folded down

So the track would fit the room I needed to cut about a 9 inch strip out of the middle and reroute the lanes to match back up. I also cut about 2 inches of each side and 3 inches of the back. I also rounded the centre piece of mdf to match the racing line. Its amazing how much needed to be rerouted cutting a small strip away. It all fits and I dont think cutting 9 inches out of the middle will be missed.

I'll make another post with the rest of the room soon.
Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:37 am

Here's the storage underneath the track. Loads of storage for cars, model kits and the wife's scrapbooking stuff.

So onto the other side of the room. I custom made the desk from Fijian Cedar Oak Plywood. Desk is 10feet long. Plenty long enough for work, model building and scrapbooking. All the shelves were made from cheap pine. Shelves still need to be setup with stuff. Tool box with tools under desk.

So that's it for now. Next up is to paint and wire up the track. Once the track is running I plan on screwing in some 3mm mdf on the underside of the track to neaten up the under side of the track. Once painted it wont look like a slotcar track at all. I do hope it gives inspiration & shows how much can be done in a small amount of space. Stay tuned.
Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: American Graffiti 1962 - Update 01/18 The Rebuild FINALL

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:11 am

Looking good !
Very timely post, I needed that .
We are going through a space revamping at home right now, and I love how you two are sharing space.
Pax Domini
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ShotgunDave » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:15 am

So glad to see you back to work Greg. I miss your regular updates on this track. Looks like you'll be running cars in no time at all! :text-bravo:
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby MoparGreg » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks guys. I hope to get things up and running quickly.

Question for you guys. I'll be lifting the track up and down off the wall a lot. I've noticed while lifting the wood frame does flex a bit while in motion, even with 2 people. Im debating about filling the gaps on the mdf track surface with filler. Do you guys think it will just crack over time due to the flexing while lifting? Obviously the gaps will be the weak point! It's currently smooth just unsightly and thinking it may look worse if I fill it if it was to crack. I'm wondering if I'm best to just leave it and not fill it. Ideas?
Thanks
Greg
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:36 pm

That is looking VERY cool already!
Look forward to seeing the updates!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard