Surface paint

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Surface paint

Postby Slot-Rev » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 pm

I have routed a 1/43 Dragstrip and I we will be using mostly foam tires with some stock and aftermarket rubber ones mixed in.My question is this....What type and MFG paint gives the best traction and results given the info above? I had this in the Drag Racing section with no reply.

Thanks
Slot-Rev

Re: Surface paint

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Are you going to use glue? With foams I imagine you might be?

If so, an industrial oil based enamel might be your best option. You will need to clean the glue of from time to time and will need a surface that will stand up to it.

If not, I like flat latex. After awhile of running, you get a great base of rubber laid into it and things start to hook up like crazy :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Slot-Rev » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks Harry,

All options being considered and we are throwing them around with the racers any info is always welcome
Slot-Rev

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:43 am

Crazy thought, but any latex should do. If you go for total traction, cars will cover your 1:43 dragstrip in the blink of an eye. Maybe that's what you're going for, I don't know.

I'll watch the 1:24 dragstrip action at Bullitt Speedway from time to time. It's amazing, technically, but not much of a thrill because no 'race' develops between the two cars. There's no suspense -- they hit the trigger and it's over. They use glue and have the ultimate traction, which ruins the actual racing, IMO.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby woodguy32 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 am

On a dragstrip.. it all depends on running glue or no glue..

Glue tracks get clean all the time with lighter fluid.. so high end oil base is the only way...

But I run no glue and and run them like the old days... tons of spinning wild (even sideways) burnouts.. its all how you throttle them for the best ET... and not just pull the trigger...fun to run on a clean or dusty track..

I dig black rustolem chalkboard paint with smooth foam rolled.. use it on my oval and super easy to touch up and matches so you never know..

wood
woodguy32

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:19 am

I second Wood on the chalk board paint. I have it on my oval and it works pretty good clean and not so clean. I have used satin oil base Rustoleum too. It works very good when clean but not so good when dirty. Throw a little WD40 on you tires on a clean Rustoleum track and they stick like glue for half a dozen laps with urethane or foam tires. That would be plenty enough time for a drag strip. I like to use Rustoleum thinned way down, more like a stain than paint, on a particle board. You can see the grain through the paint so it has an aggregate asphalt look.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:59 pm

Can I change my answer? :lol:
Chalkboard paint is awesome, and would be great for a dragstrip. I did use it on a 6-lane oval, and the effect was really good. Nice combination of grip and slide, and looks great.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby pfuetze » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:35 am

for 1/43rd i would not use foam tires.
And with stock tires and PU tires, flat latex paint would be great, also chalkboard paint.
glossy acrylic paint also offers great traction for the stock and PU tires, but you have to like the glossy look.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard