[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - River Hills Raceway - Lancaster Pa - Build Log - Updated 2/3

River Hills Raceway - Lancaster Pa - Build Log - Updated 2/3

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: River Hills Raceway - Lancaster Pa - Build Log

Postby Ember » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm

Oh my goodness. Now that's a track, or it will be. Great job so far.

Not fair! I want to build a new track...

Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

River Hills Raceway - Lancaster Pa - Build Log

Postby cobratroy » Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 am

I put a strip of masking tape down on the primer to mask off white line on the outer edges. I then painted the surface with super cheap grey latex paint.

The track looked nice but it didn't have that real world texture I was going for!

So... I painted it again. I wish I took photos of the process but all I have is a shot of the final surface.

I wanted the surface to look like aged asphalt. I used a small automotive touch up gun with low pressure and "misted" on a heavy coat of black, then a light coat of white and followed by two light coats of different shades of grey latex paint. I'm very happy with the results now.
Last edited by cobratroy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobratroy

Postby cobratroy » Wed May 15, 2013 6:54 am

In the process of "repainting" the surface, I painted over the white lines that I had on the track.

I masked off both sides of the lines and painted the center white again!

That's 300 feet of masking. 600 feet if you count the 1/4" masking tape and the 3/4" strip!

I was glad to be finished!
Last edited by cobratroy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobratroy

Postby cobratroy » Wed May 15, 2013 6:55 am

Cutting the 1/4" squares was fun!

The result was worth the work!

Last edited by cobratroy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobratroy

Postby goosenapper » Wed May 15, 2013 8:40 am

goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Wed May 15, 2013 8:43 am

Beautiful, just wonderful work. You're very patient, to do all that detail work instead of running laps. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby cobratroy » Wed May 15, 2013 10:45 am

Last edited by cobratroy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobratroy

Postby cobratroy » Wed May 15, 2013 10:58 am

The temporary wiring needed to be cleaned up into something a little neater!

This was just a start of the wiring supplies! There's a lot of wire under there!

This is the power tap junction. I have three power taps spaced out per lane.

I added an inline fuse for safety into each lane.

I started with an older David Carlson timer but I was having problems with the sensors missing laps. So, I purchased a TrackMate setup and I couldn't be happier with it. I had it install and working in an hour or two.

Daniel at TrackMate made me a system with "Guide Flag Sensors" I didn't want a overhead gantry light on the front stretch.

This is what the "Guide Flag Sensors" look like.
Last edited by cobratroy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
cobratroy

Postby RazorJon » Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 am

thats some track, the paint, the wiring all perfect
and the video was cool
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby DixonJohn » Thu May 16, 2013 6:48 am

Makes me want to tear all my stuff out and start again!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:
DixonJohn
"The Mayor"

Postby cobratroy » Fri May 24, 2013 2:25 pm

This is going to be a long process! It will be years until I get the whole track finished!

I started by draping wire screen over the opening in the center of the track. I put strips cloth with plaster on them to build up the surface. I added parts of casted rocks into the plaster to made the rock face.

Someday, the flat rock in the center will be a small stream and waterfall.

I added a piece of black foam core to form the bottom of a small pond.

This is a wall built with from a bag of gravel I purchased at Lowes. I washed it with a light white paint so all the rocks have the same base tone.

Final painted and weathered rocks. I painted the bottom of the pond many different shades of blue, darker in the center so it appears deeper.

I pour an epoxy like clear finish over the pond surface. It's about 1/4" to 1/8" thick.

Last edited by cobratroy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobratroy

Re: River Hills Raceway - Lancaster Pa - Build Log - Update

Postby cobratroy » Fri May 24, 2013 2:48 pm

One down and two to go!

The bridge concrete is made out of 3/4" dense foam insulation sheets from Lowe's. It's an ugly mint green color. It you peel the plastic vapor barrier off both sides it's great to work with. I sand it with 150 grit sandpaper to soften the corners of the parts. The surface of the board has small voids and nicks in some places but that just helps create to look of "used" concrete.

I paint the foam with a concrete colored flat latex paint. After it dries I wash it with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and India ink. (Weather wash) I just brush the mixture very heavy on the parts and let it run off. (Mix the wash to 200ml alcohol to 15 drop of black india ink.)

The inside walls are scored foam cord panels that have been painted and washed/weathered.

I painted the surface of the track the same way as the walls. I also used a sea sponge to apply the weather wash to give the surface a realistic appearance.

Of course I had to "repaint" the track line and weather them again! I want to add a few weeds to the base of the wall yet.
Last edited by cobratroy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobratroy

Postby cobratroy » Fri May 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Just started testing these to see how they hold up. I know they will get dinged but that will just make them look real! They're working great so far.

I've been playing with forming the guardrail sections from soda can aluminum. I made a jig to "stamp" out sections. I can get many sections from one can! CHEAP! More car money...

I cut strips of cans and place it into the bottom "die" and then press to top "die" into the bottom.

See! it's a soda can :) Just paint the back silver.

I was worried the edges would be sharp but they're really not that bad.
Last edited by cobratroy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobratroy

Postby TsgtRet » Fri May 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Who is this guy? :shock:
Troy, do you have a female cousin "Downunder"? This is outstanding work; the pond and the guardrails are fantastic! More :banana-gotpics: please!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby hksk25 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:41 am

I have had a chance to run this track, before scenery, and it races real well. The banked turn into the straight
is great. The off camber turn in the pond area is tricky.
Nice scenery work,Troy. You'll have to invite me over again so I can see how the guardrail holds up. I got a couple more 917K's to race!

Harry
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard