Ice Racing - Lessons Learned

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Ice Racing - Lessons Learned

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:55 pm

You may remember, at Christmastime, I posted pictures of my lightweight holiday ice racing track.
This is a reflection on two months of fairly heavy use, with some lessons learned.

1. You can use horrible materials - and live to tell the tale.

I originally planned to use extruded polystyrene and 4mm MDF, but couldn't get the former without silver foil on it, or the latter in a large sheet; so settled for
expanded polystyrene(the bobbly kind), sandwiched between two sheets of hardboard (like Masonite).Anyone who has used these will know how horrible they are to work with, and I did expect it all to fall to pieces quite quickly; but it hasn't!

I'm sure they wouldn't be very good for a long-lasting structure, but for a one-off special occasion small track,they have the virtue of cheapness, and are more robust than you think.

The only problem has been at the crossovers, where the polystyrene isn't rigid enough to firmly support the hardboard.This means that distortion can occur and cars can come to an abrupt halt as the guide shoe thuds into the point of the hard board.If I was doing this again, I think I'd back the hardboard at the crossover with a solid piece of wood or MDF, and rout the slots straight through.

2.Clear Varnish Isn't Always That Clear - and doesn't stay that way if you run slot cars on it:

After routing, I painted the hardboard with brilliant white gloss paint(after priming), but I didn't think it looked very slippery, so I gave the "roadway" a coat of clear polyurethane varnish - which went on and dried with a greenish tinge! I was dismayed enough by this; but had no idea how much rubber comes off tyres!

Contrast this with the pristine white in the "Tis the Season . . ." pictures.
I guess it looks pretty realistic by UK standards where snow is converted to filthy brown slush within minutes of falling; but I guess in North America, it just gets refreshed by more falling.

3.Seriously Consider Aluminium Tape:

I wanted to use the tinned Venture tape, as I thought a silvery sheen would look better with "ice", but Venture don't sell it in UK.
Then, I found a company in Cheshire who will cut aluminium tape to any width you want.

It's just as easy to lay as copper,seems to stick just as well,and doesn't tarnish as rapidly.You can overlap it and prick through the overlap to give electrical continuity. The only thing is you can't solder it (or, I can't), but the current supply is easily connected by putting a brass screw through the tape.
It's also about half to a third the price of copper tape.

4.Independent Power supplies for Solo Fun! (Relax - I know this is a family forum!):

I used inexpensive plug-in variable voltage regulated power supplies - one for each lane.

This not only allows easy turning down the voltage so that tiny members of the family aren't crashing all the time and getting fed up;

it also allows the controller on one lane to be fitted with a "Billy No-mates" on/off switch - you'd be surprised how difficult it is to beat a car that is going at the optimum constant speed! So the fun can go on even after everyone has gone home.

5. You don't have to have a large track to have a lot of fun:

The ice track is only 6x3ft 6ins;but everybody who has visited has had a ball with it.Just the joy of racing on it has kept everyone amused, and although I fitted it with dead strips for lap timing, in the event we have hardly used it.

Sorry this has gone on a bit.I know , for some it will have been statements of the dazzlingly obvious.

I've just finished helping my son with his portable Magracing track, of which I hope he'll post details soon.

I'm sticking to slot cars for now. There's a better Oval on the waiting list; and a hillclimb; and next year's ice track will be polycarbonate - I'd better live to be at least 100, that's for sure!

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Ice Racing - Lessons Learned

Postby pfuetze » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 pm

great report, thanks David!
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Pretty Cool....heheh get it?

Really, a nice track indeed.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Jeremy,

In UK we have a chain of electronics stores called Maplins. The switch is the smallest one of theirs and can be pushed into the rubber grommet on the XLR plug.

Maplins seems pretty similar to Radio Shack; so I guess you'll have no difficulty finding something similar.The switch is rated at 2 amps, and is a simple on/off switch. I'm sorry,I've thrown away the pack so I can't give you the part number.

By the way, I'm surprised nobody has picked up on the aluminium tape.I think it's really worth considering.It costs a tiny fraction of the cost of tinned copper tape.You can specify the width you want, because they cut it to order.And it doesn't corrode in damp conditions like copper does(believe me, we know all about damp over here).Although mine came from a company in Cheshire, it's unimaginable that there won't be similar firms in the USA.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:37 am

Aluminum tape used to be fairly common here because it was used on windows for alarm systems. The tape can oxidize or crack, which could cause false alarms. I have not seen the tape used that way for quite some time, now motion detector systems are used. Radio Shack no longer sells it.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Ice Racing - Lessons Learned: Billy No-Mates switch

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:22 am

This is the switch I used,Jeremy.Went and got another for the photo today.

I expect some factory in China is belting out 15 million of these every day, so your friendly electronics chain will almost certainly have the very same thing.

Here it is with a metric scale,in case you prefer that.(I'm part of the generation that has to struggle with both,because we got metricated after we'd finished our educashun!)

Actually,I could send you this one if you'd like it for reference - you could just PM me a postal address.

Rich D - I've no doubt that most of us will stick to copper tape most of the time,but it's handy to know there is an alternative that works and is cheap.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Should look good, Leadfinger1.The red clay colour will look good as it gets rubber laid down.
Two things if you're going to use this method:
1.I'd use the pink or blue extruded foam - I think it would support the surface better.
2.I'd make the crossovers a bit closer to a right angle - I think there would be less chance of cars getting stuck on them - or even occasionally shooting down the wrong lane!

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard