[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - GVSCC main tracks_closing down - Luf's moving

GVSCC main tracks_closing down - Luf's moving

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

GVSCC main tracks_closing down - Luf's moving

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:31 pm

It is with great sadness to announce the closing and dismantling of the Greater Vancouver Slot Car Club's (GVSCC) main tracks after the last race on September 20th. Luf, our track guru, is moving from the lower mainland to beautiful Vancouver Island.

Targa Burnaby

Hillclimb

Tri-oval

I know many of us would not have routed wood tracks today without first viewing the Luf & Norm how-to video many years ago.

Also, his plexi routing strip and lane tape dispenser made the work so much easier.

It's not entirely dire for the club as we have just confirmed a new location for Targa Burnaby but it still won't be the same without Luf. The Hill Climb and Tri-oval have no takers yet, so fingers crossed that they find homes before October 1 and don't end up in the dump.

Please use this thread to thank and wish Luf well on his new adventure.

Dan
GVSCC
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: GVSCC main tracks_closing down - Luf's moving

Postby chappyman66 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Truly, an era has passed.

I was fortunate to visit once, thanks to the effusive hospitality of Alwyn (SuperSlab) and the GVSCC. Long after the racing was done, Luf was happy to chat and had I not had customer responsibility the next morning I would have occupied him much longer. Tireless efforts, changing the Targa many times over the years in demonstration of the fact that a routed track need not be thought of as permanent and unchanging.....giving the inspiration to many to pick up the router. A truly gracious host, a wonderful person, and an outstanding ambassador for the hobby for so many years.

Best wishes indeed!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby scatman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 pm

Does this mean a new track at his new home? Well, best of luck with the move Luf, from a student and customer of your How to Disk and accessories.

Tony
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:59 pm

I was one who had purchased his video, router disc and router strip many years ago. From that initial purchase, I have routed or had a hand in making at least 15 tracks here in the New England area. So a big thank you to Luf for leading the way to making those great memories. :music-rockout:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby docdoom » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:20 pm

There only two ways on to that island, Ferries or fly, makes for a long commute back to Vancouver. is he moving up Island or hanging around Victoria? best wishes
docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:56 pm

Luf's moving up island to the Campbell River area. The new place has a large rec room that will house a three-lane track most certainly with lots of elevation changes. This will go a long way in attracting a new group of racers.

Some GVSCC members will likely visit but not often given the long distance.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:03 am

Luf's tracks are incredible and some of my first proxies that I've participated in were on his tracks. I truly enjoyed watching video of participants in the Targa Florio and the Hillclimb as I could gauge the performance of my cars through the videos. I hope someone snaps up these HRW historic tracks so we can have more GVSCC proxies.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oldslotracer » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:04 am

Coming soon...GVSCC&CR
I'll see how many lives I can ruin in Campbell River
oldslotracer

Postby Giddyup » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:27 pm

Congrats on the move Luf!

Campbell River is beautiful and just a wee bit quieter than the GVA...CR doesn’t know what it’s in for!

Like others, Luf and his website showed me the light and then quickly pulled me into dark side of routing! And I can honestly say, if it wasn’t for that slippery slope of my first wood track...I very much doubt that my interest in the hobby or our club would even exist today. It’s been that initial awe and then lure of the super smooth routed wood track that has led to 9 wood tracks and counting in our little club.
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:31 am

Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Kevan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:49 am

It's Lufs video on YouTube, nobody has a video player any more.
Kevan

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:27 am

Sure enough? My wife was right- I am an antique after all. And I just finally learned how to set the clock on the VCR.

Luf, as a self-appointed representative of aged gas-passers here, I have to warn you that if you try to slip away from us here on HRW, we can charter a plane and land on your new Valhalla en masse. Weeks of cooking for us, hosting against your will, and we'll bring acres of MDF with us! Just so you know...
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:18 pm

End of an era.

Thanks Luf for eleven great years!

We'll miss you. Best wishes on your new adventure.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fast Co. » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Years before I bought my first home and had space for a slot car track I used to follow Luf's frequent track-building projects on his excellent oldslotracer.com website. His advice, and track-building tools gave me the encouragement to tackle my first routed slot car track back in 2010. That track was operational for about a year before I took it down and built the current version of Woodland Trace Raceway, which is still running well today.

Around the time I was building my first track I had the opportunity to visit Luf while traveling with my daughter throughout BC. She had to run back to Seattle and I was left with an afternoon free. I gave Luf a call, and on very short notice he readily welcomed me to his home and I got spend a few hours turning laps with him on one of the earlier versions of Targa Burnaby.

Luf, you are a top-notch guy. I want to thank you for the tips, tools, and encouragement you gave me to build my first routed track and for happily welcoming me into your home on short notice. Best of luck in your new home!

Here's a pic from that afternoon so many years ago...

Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Aloha » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:43 am

Luf
We all feel a loss but know there are great things to come. I hear it is beautiful where you are moving to. Enjoy!
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard