[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - MID BC - new track build

MID BC - new track build

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

MID BC - new track build

Postby Cgyracer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:12 am

Well it’s time to start building a new track. My old track "Quail Ridge Speedway" I had since 2008 moved in September to its new home in Rafael’s garage here in Kelowna.

The link to the move I documented in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19332

Need a logo before we get started right?!
Rob

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: MID BC - new track build

Postby Cgyracer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:08 am

MID BC is going to be located in my home so the track and table needs to look good and looking like a piece of furniture or else my manager (wife!) will not be too happy! I’m not too shabby with wood, I can build a garage track, a shed, basement development….. but a track in my home I needed help and advice…..in came local racer Richard H. Richard is an Architect and in between designing beautiful homes I was lucky enough to get his help, designing skills, his garage plus his labor……how lucky!

Last weekend’s goal was to build the trusses for the table frame. The trusses are strong but yet light, each truss was calculated between 20 to 30 pounds. All the trusses were basically made from 1x4s cut in half into 1x2’s. I went through a lot of 1x4s at Home Depot and found some really nice straight pieces……a lot of bad 1x4s was chucked into the back of the pile.

The Goal:

Cutting and building the trusses in Richard’ garage:

After the trusses were built we laid out the trusses in order to build gusset plates for the attachment points. All trusses and gussets were laid out properly with clamps in order to be square and predrilled with 1/4 inch holes as 3 inch nuts and bolts was to be used for easy assembly at my house.
Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 am

Yesterday I laid out the frame at home on the floor and attached the bottom and top gusset plates with 3” nuts and bolts. I am short 15 bolts I thought 100 would have been enough but obviously not!

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:46 am

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:57 am

What an understanding wife to allow the use of an entire room in an obviously very nice home.
I'm lucky to be allowed a 5 x 12 oval that folds against the wall in the basement. :|
.............very nice beginning...........
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Watching with interest.
Richard has a nice garage. Is that a slot car track tilted up against the wall? Link?
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Knowing both these gentlemen well, I can assure you this will be a build worth following, the quality and attention to detail will be off the chart!

Chris
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:38 pm

It already is...…. nice start! Any mock-up of what the actual track lay-out will look like?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Here it is Allan. 21 feet x 12 feet. Looking forward to running your car and the others in the Group 5 proxy on MID BC.

Rob

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Marshalling positions were always in mind for club and proxy racing so we can perform live marshalling without track calls (hopefully!)

Experimenting with elevation changes.

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:59 pm

Last weekend we tackled the largest 49” wide piece for the tabletop. A sheet and a half was needed with a wide 4 foot radius for the end of the straight and a two foot radius at the other end.

Piece #5 was the objective

Many cuts to be able to curve the framework

Glue and clamps to make rigid

Start of the framework all glued and screwed. The 1x4 on the left is to attach the next sheet.

Sheets of 1/8” door skin cut into strips are very easy to bend and glue onto the curved framework. Three layers of door skin overlapping each other creates a very strong like 3/8” sheet of plywood that is curved and because it is standing on end very rigid for outside support

All done....one piece out of five! This framework will face up and be the attach points for the track and risers for the elevations
Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:24 pm

No wonder I can't find any clamps... you guys have them all... :lol:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:14 pm

That multi kerf technique is the same I used to replace the walls around the 1965 commercial track I restored. I don't see a radial arm saw in the shop. Did you cut all those kerfs on your table saw? Those strips look like they are at least 5 feet long.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Hotrodbob » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Beautiful track and great photos on the build. Thanks for posting it.
Hotrodbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard