[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1st routed track - small space layout

1st routed track - small space layout

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

1st routed track - small space layout

Postby sjc115 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:04 am

My son and I got into slot cars maybe 10 years ago at the local hobby shop. My son turned out to be very good at it and we had a great time racing and playing at the hobby shop for years. Then (you probably know the story) the shop closed, the track disappeared, and we stopped playing. We always tried to have a home setup using Scalextric track (digital), but never really had the space for a good layout.

After a a few years away from the hobby I was itching to get back to playing (not so much my son and he's into xbox, baseball, and girls now). After reading endless posts here and on SCI about small space layouts I realized that a 1/43 scale routed wood track with a variable power supply might be a lot of fun.

So this is my first attempt. It is a 3' x 8' space and it turned out decent. I chose to use the pattern method that Ed B. likes to use. This let me sketch the track on the pattern wood (1/4" hardboard) and cut out the pattern with a jig saw. I had to make a couple of plates for the router base so that I could use the pattern for both slots. A bit more work up front, but it made routing easy (this was my first time using a router).

Its much more fun with 1/32 cars than I thought it would be (that variable power supply makes all the difference in the world for a small layout). I think my slot is a bit shallow for the 1/43 cars, they tend to bounce around a lot, but we'll figure it out. I just thought I would share some pictures with everyone since you all gave me more help than you will ever know. Next up, an oval...

pattern.jpg
sjc115

Re: 1st routed track - small space layout

Postby sjc115 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:05 am

slots.jpg
sjc115

Postby sjc115 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:06 am

painted.jpg

wiring.jpg
sjc115

Postby buspor63 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:34 am

Yeah, new track build, I think we all love new tracks! That looks awesome and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. Best of all, you did it yourself!
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sjc115 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:57 am

Drivers Stations:

drivers stations.jpg
Last edited by sjc115 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
sjc115

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:02 am

Well you should be very proud. That is one nice track in this space. Well done sir!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby sjc115 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:04 am

finished2.jpg
sjc115

Postby slothead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 am

Very nice little track. Makes me keep thinking about the possibility for a small track to carry out on the deck for summer fun.

Consider using a flexible plastic strip (1/4" x 1 3/4" tall molding) as a fence around the outside corners to keep cars off the floor and you're all set to start laying down some rubber.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Nice use of vertical to gain more length.
If you can run 1/32 cars, 1/43should be fine. If they are jumpy it's likely due to wheel and axle issues, not the track.
Which looks quite nice, btw. Well done doing it yourself!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Excellent...nice work!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sjc115 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:54 pm

@slothead
I definitely need some fencing on the corner, have already launched a couple cars off the track.

@chappyman666
I'll have to look at the axles to see if something is going on. I thought the guide pin was catching in places, but there may be something else going on as well.
sjc115

Postby slothead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Fencing is also a great place to post the track name and sponsor decals/names. Something that simple will add a lot of realism to the track in addition to protecting your cars.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:37 am

That turned out great! Should make for a LOT of fun to race on!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Pappy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:38 am

I like it! :music-rockout:

As soon as you figure out the best gear ratio, tires, motor and controller for your track you'll have as much fun on it as any track out there. :text-bravo:
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby lancelotalove » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:30 am

That track look really cool. All the turns are different, not like any plastic track where most turns are the same.
And when you run the track backward, all the turns are different again.
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Lumber Yard